working in the firearm industry

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
eocoolj

working in the firearm industry

Post by eocoolj »

So, graduation date is fast approaching, and I'm kicking my job search into high gear.

Several times while talking about guns with my dad (who has about zero interest in them), he has mentioned that if I am so interested in them, why don't I pursue a career with one of the firearm manufacturers. Now that the time to job hunt is upon me, I'm giving it some serious thought. I'll be graduating with a BS in Industrial Engineering, so I think I have at least a shot. I keep hearing how well the gun industry is doing right now, too. I am planning on making some calls and emails to various big manufacturers and see whats available. I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience working in the firearms industry, any advice you may be able to give, contacts you may have, etc.

Thanks
HTRN

Re: working in the firearm industry

Post by HTRN »

The gun industry is in a short term bubble. As little as 6 months ago, S&Ws stock was below 2 bucks a share, down from a high of 20 dollars+ the year before.

Also, most of the "big" names are in 2A hostile areas - Mass., New York, Illinois...

If you're gonna go into the industry, try for one of the accessory manufacturers. They tend to be in better areas.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

I know the old "do what you love" advice, but I've found out one way to screw up a hobby is to do it for a living. I used to enjoy just playing with computers until I ended up working on them for a living. Now I get on, do what I have to do, and then move on to something I'm not burned out on. Hence, I intend to never work in a gun or ham radio store.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

I'd say, not only do what you love, but try to arrange it so you live where you want to live. Remember, a job isn't your whole life.

I'm where I am for a job, but I sure wish I wasn't!
eocoolj

Post by eocoolj »

yea, i'm not really sure where i want to live long term. My mom is all excited about me moving back home after graduation, which does make sense for me financially until i make a serious dent in my college loans. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life in new jersey though. At the very least, I want to make it to PA. I've found that, once you get outside Philadelphia, its a pretty sane state. I'm not opposed to moving long distance though. I kind of like the sound of New Hampshire. They sound like they take their freedoms pretty seriously up there.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

eocoolj wrote:So, graduation date is fast approaching, and I'm kicking my job search into high gear.

Several times while talking about guns with my dad (who has about zero interest in them), he has mentioned that if I am so interested in them, why don't I pursue a career with one of the firearm manufacturers. Now that the time to job hunt is upon me, I'm giving it some serious thought. I'll be graduating with a BS in Industrial Engineering, so I think I have at least a shot. I keep hearing how well the gun industry is doing right now, too. I am planning on making some calls and emails to various big manufacturers and see whats available. I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience working in the firearms industry, any advice you may be able to give, contacts you may have, etc.

Thanks
Well, there is another way to play that game. Get a comission and go play with guns on your Uncle's dime.
eocoolj

Post by eocoolj »

yea, I've considered the military. I'm not sure I'm looking for that kind of commitment at this point. I've got a lot going on at home right now and want to be able to at least attempt to do my fair share. For awhile I was looking at the marines because I really like their "every man a rifleman" doctrine, but I also have a healthy interest in ships and naval tactics, not getting shot at, so I'm kind of interested in the navy as well. I have a strong family history in the navy as well.

We'll see.
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Another option would be to take a Civil Service position with a DOD organization working with small arms. The acquisition process can be grinding, but there are some rewards. I've been doing it 28 years.
eocoolj

Post by eocoolj »

Mike OTDP wrote:Another option would be to take a Civil Service position with a DOD organization working with small arms. The acquisition process can be grinding, but there are some rewards. I've been doing it 28 years.
Can you elaborate a bit on what these organizations do? Procurement of arms for the military? Perhaps give an overview of your experience working in that field?

Your help is much appreciated.