Yes - only a couple that I trust, the others, NO WAY
8%
Yes - only those equally heavily armed
No votes

Total votes: 80

HTRN

Re: Know Your Neighbors?

Post by HTRN »

ZeroGravitas wrote:We know everybody on the block. Italian is the primary language, it's one of those neighborhoods. Little single family houses with tiny lawns in the front and vegetable gardens in the back. Our kids all go to the same parochial school.
So you live in Staten Island, hunh? :mrgreen:

HTRN
Last edited by HTRN on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

It is a very nice neighbor hood we currently live in , we know most of the folks in it. Our prior neighbor hood we had some very nasty folks living there , we were flipped off regularly by one neighbor and we responded in kind, and were shot at once never found out who, and had my chain saw stolen ( for two hours until I called the State troopers who made my neighbor return it ), some really pretty messed up folks.
We changed locations and are much happier for it.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

I live in a complex of small, overpriced apartments, so the turn over is pretty high. Only neighbor I know by name is Mr. Leroy one floor up and to the east. Otherwise, it the middle-aged grandma across from me, the 90 year old guy from Chalmette next door, the ex-UDT to the street side from me, the cute waitress from Rock-N-Bowl across the courtyard from me, and the two blondes that think they're MILFs who put their screeching hellspawn in the pool outside my window while I'm trying to sleep. :roll:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

There's only about 15 houses on each side of the street for the one and a half mile length of our road...I'm close with the ones down at this end and albeit know the other end don't socialize much with them...We all have to get our mail at a central post box system they have for the few roads in our area so I see them there more then anywhere else...

One neighbour's daughter is cutting my lawn as we speak and she and a couple other of the teens residing hereabouts come over to shoot air pistol/rifle at the basement or outdoor field target range...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I know my neighbors, mostly by my dad's example of getting to know as many people on the block as possible. I think it has mostly to do with his being a retired cop. When I moved back, Dad was the one introducing himself to the neighbors to the point where they thought he was the one moving in. I do have a lot of nice people on my block, though. None of them are single women of proper age to chase around, though. I suppose you can't have everything.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Sea Dawg

Post by Sea Dawg »

I make it a point to introduce myself to new neighbors. It doesn't hurt either that one friend/neighbor has an open house every Christmas, so it is a good time to meet some neighbor you hadn't been introduced to yet.
A free people ought ..to be armed. Geo. Washington, 1790
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

I would speak with my neighbors, but it would be pointless. Neither one of us can understand a damn word the other says. :o
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

There are about a dozen houses (total) with a half-mile of my house. Most of the folks that live along my road are older, retired couples, and they've tracked the progress of our restoration project with considerable interest, so we've gotten to know them fairly well. I don't think I'd call any of them for help that didn't involve a tractor, but they are watchful and attentive, and don't hesitate to question someone they don't know.

It's a good neighborhood, even if it is so far out in the boonies we have to pipe in daylight.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Jeffro

Post by Jeffro »

As Mike said, urban and rural are different situations. I don't know what I'd do without my neighbors - they've done so much for me I cannot begin to repay them in kind. But, I've known most of them my entire life, or theirs if they are significantly younger than me.

If you drive by my house, you are lost or there deliberately - it is off the beaten path. We do get some itinerant traffic from the local dairy, but I'm for thinking the shot up oil barrels, pallets with targets on electric fenceposts, and trap thrower prominently displayed in my front yard pretty well says "Smith and Wesson live here," among other things.

:o
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Shane
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

I live in an apartment complex with a pretty high rate of turnover. I know a couple of the airmen who stay here (I work with one of them) and I did scare the poop out of some old lady when I got out of the car packing that days' gun shop purchase (my Yugo SKS, least I didn't have the bayo unfolded.)

Working the night shift means I'm usually leaving for work before they even get back from work, and I get home about the time they all go to bed.

The cute girls never stay around long enough for me to know.
Luke 22:36
" ....But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
-Jesus Christ,