4-H rifle coaching

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
g-man

4-H rifle coaching

Post by g-man »

Got certified last November and managed to find a local range that allows us to do practice indoors, so I held the first practice our club has had in several months last week. Had two returning shooters and one new one. His dad said they’d done ‘backyard shooting’ a couple of times at a previous duty station location, but this was only his second time on an actual range. Did the safety brief and got them on the line as soon after that as I could. I need to fix up some sort of rack to carry target stands and rifle cases from my truck to the range building (we have full height stands because juniors all shoot prone), but other than that it went really well.

Just thought I’d post it here in case anyone has good ideas for practice drills or any previous experience in this space. It’s a little different than previous training, and I have to make sure ‘firearm’, not ‘weapon’ is the terminology I’m using, but MAN is it rewarding to see kiddos light up when they shoot well. DD said her rifle was shooting way left and maybe the scope got knocked… two shots in a knot on the stand the size of a quarter, standing unsupported, and I handed it back to her - “Nope kiddo, you’re just rusty”. She got it back together for her 2nd target… :lol:
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
randy

Re: 4-H rifle coaching

Post by randy »

Cool!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".