my medical news

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
TheArmsman

Re: my medical news

Post by TheArmsman »

Damn, John, very sorry to hear about this.

A pox on those who enabled this.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
randy

Post by randy »

Sorry to hear this. Hang in there and I hope the situation improves soon.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Damn. There goes your career modeling sandals. Best of luck & hoping you're as much on the mend as can be!
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:14 pm That's awesome. I know a few years back, PADI was lobbying hard against insurance being able to pay claims for uses of hyperbaric chambers other than treatment of the bends, because they thought that the equipment should be kept idle/reserved for the sole use of divers. I guess they must have lost that fight?
That might make sense in an island or coastal location with lots of dive activity, but not otherwise.
Time of year means something too. Not much recreational diving on the northern Atlantic seaboard in the winter; or the GOM coast either, north of Tampa.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Any PADI opposition to wider use of HBOT is misguided. Divers need hard chambers that pump up to higher pressures. There are clinics you can go to with hardshell chambers but most therapeutic HBOT is done at 1.3 (~14-15 ft depth) in zip up soft shell chambers (think quality inflatible boat bladder type material). If you have an oxygen concentrator then also O2 pumped into a mask through a port in the wall.

My son and I both got this 33" tube.
I've paid less for cars but it's long since paid for itself vs going to a clinic. Basic prescription I seen repeatedly for TBI, chemical brain, stroke is 40 dives and then re-assess. I was noticing a real difference in brain function after 5 dives. And the skin on my face got to be like a baby's behind. /heh/

Used resale mkt for them is strong too. My son is selling his to get a smaller one now since they just moved into a tiny house. They are downsizing to one that will take less space when folded up between uses. He has no mobility or claustrophobia issues with getting in a smaller tube. His wife (with fibromyalgia and early RA getting relief from this and ozone insullfation) is a wee thing who can sit up in a 33" tube with room overhead to spare.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

Health update part 2

I saw the surgeon yesterday. He seems like a good, smart guy and more importantly he seems to have been given a good supply of common sense. Unlike the referring doctor who wanted to go immediately to surgery, the surgeon recognized that for someone who has a wound that is very slow to heal, opening that up to 10 times the size, is NOT a good idea.

He is firmly of the belief that 6-8 weeks of IV antibiotics will greatly reduce if not eliminate the primary issue (bone infection). Then if need be a very minor surgery can be done to fix up any lingering issues. Even if that is a complete failure (pretty unlikely) I will be no worse off in 6 weeks than I am now. He bases this on the idea that I have had NO ANTIBIOTICS in my system for the past year that the bone infection has been there and it hasn’t gotten out of control. In his mind, this means my immune system is doing a good job and bolstered with the super strong antibiotics there is NO way I will be worse and I should be a whole bunch better at the end of the 6 weeks.

I am not out of the woods, but I do have a path through the trees. There are likely to be issues along the way. I will definitely have side effects from having so much antibiotics in my system. But, compared to potentially loosing the central metatarsal and two toes (next week), things are potentially looking much better.

I am told the antibiotics will drain my stamina, but other than that and possible gastric issues there should be very limited side effects. Without the surgery, I will not be on pain meds so I should be perfectly able to work through this and keep up with business related items. The biggest change (which I have already had to implement) is to almost completely remove myself from our “farm” related activities. I can’t risk contamination of my foot in the chicken, pig or goat pens and I can’t lift anything heavy. Hopefully I will be fixed by the time our baby goats arrive.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Precision

Post by Precision »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:06 pm Any PADI opposition to wider use of HBOT is misguided. Divers need hard chambers that pump up to higher pressures. There are clinics you can go to with hardshell chambers but most therapeutic HBOT is done at 1.3 (~14-15 ft depth) in zip up soft shell chambers (think quality inflatible boat bladder type material). If you have an oxygen concentrator then also O2 pumped into a mask through a port in the wall.

My son and I both got this 33" tube.
I've paid less for cars but it's long since paid for itself vs going to a clinic. Basic prescription I seen repeatedly for TBI, chemical brain, stroke is 40 dives and then re-assess. I was noticing a real difference in brain function after 5 dives. And the skin on my face got to be like a baby's behind. /heh/

Used resale mkt for them is strong too. My son is selling his to get a smaller one now since they just moved into a tiny house. They are downsizing to one that will take less space when folded up between uses. He has no mobility or claustrophobia issues with getting in a smaller tube. His wife (with fibromyalgia and early RA getting relief from this and ozone insullfation) is a wee thing who can sit up in a 33" tube with room overhead to spare.
The doc, see previous post has suggested HBOT should have been done and should be done in the future. I am pretty sure it is SUPER expensive compared to buying one of those that you linked. That said, I may be interested in the one your son is selling. Will have to look at finances and lean on your much better knowledge of recuperative effects and costs associated with going to the clinic.
What are maintainance / usage costs of owning one like you have? I assume pretty low.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I've seen some chamber time as low as $80/hour locally but as part of clinic that is treating customers. Standalone HBOT clinics in our area run $140 - $180/hour.

Check out ozone therapy as well (much lower cost).
You almost certainly have some functional medicine doc's, Osteopaths or Natureopaths nearby doing injection, IV or even Ozone/UV dialysis (ranked in ascending order of cost and effectiveness)

Oxidative therapies are a real thing. Helpful for wound healing as well as for bacterial and virul infection (various modes: topically, insullfation rectally or in ears, or blood treatment).

Under appreciated by the "establishment" medical folks.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

I did some rough checking and costs are about $300 per session. Spoke with parents, dad has the same issue and apparently the person formerly known as my sister also recently developed it.
Am considering buying one and time sharing it between FL and TN.
Precision

Post by Precision »

And now the PICC line they put in 2 days ago is likely NOT going to be used. They decided to put me on Oral meds for 30 days to see how that works. $3000 for NO apparent reason. Yeah, I am feeling like a ping pong ball in a frat house on party night.