So I guess I am the A-hole?

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Vonz90

So I guess I am the A-hole?

Post by Vonz90 »

Some background, I have a bit over 10 acres with a lake on one side. There are a few trees here and there, particularly on the property line on two sides where the neighbor's property is wooded. There is a small house that corners to our property on the same side as the tree line. On the other side is a narrow hay field owned by the farmer across the street and then the neighbors who built the motocross track.

I like trees, so I bought about 350 of them and planted them this spring, a couple rows of ever greens along two sides and a bunch of hardwoods in the back couple of acres. They are mostly small 1 to 2 feet. I have not been mowing those areas both to protect the trees and not mowing this area being part of the point if the endeavor.

There are teenagers who 4-wheel in the property behind us, which is fine, but also have been crossing over onto our side, which is especially annoying as it is where I planted about 150 of the aforementioned trees. I have have seen them a couple times, not caught them, but I did drop a couple logs across the paths they used to get in.

So last night about 10 we see headlights zooming around the backyard, I figure the teenagers are back, run out there yelling for them to stop. They had driven to the path but had to come back because it was blocked. I track them down, get to them and... It is the neighbor with the motorcycles on his 4-wheeler, with a couple of his smaller kids.

I will continue on the next post....
Vonz90

Re: So I guess I am the A-hole?

Post by Vonz90 »

I have maybe talked to this guy three times, even when I wave they give me the one time my wife and I went over to say hi they gave us the cold shoulder, whatever and all if people want to stay to them selves I do not mind.

In any case he had obviously been drinkin and was belligerent and he has always driven over there and he doesn't see any trees and he lets me use "his driveway" (part of my driveway is on an easement) and his kids are crying and it is my fault, and I am rude to him all the time and really.... just WTF is wrong with people.

He also got out of the 4-wheeler and started to get in my face but when I did not back down and he realized he was a lot smaller than me he backed off.

I will grant that I was probably loud (I slip into my command voice when stressed) and would have approached him differently if I knew it was not the teenagers, but WTF is wrong with people? Who thinks it is okay to drive around someone's back yard at night that you barely know?

Eventually defused a bit (not really helped when the wives came out about half way) but damn I am pissed about it. My grandfather would have probably just stood on the back porch and shot at them and I can see some wisdom in that.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

It's not you. I say, if you want to use or control what happens on land, buy it. IIRC, he was there when you bought? He missed his chance.

Good fences make good neighbors?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

yeah, good fences...

And also "Seek peace and pursue it." Cooler day, cooler head, maybe some sort of reach out/peace offering. Might not be enough but "so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men."

Neighbor grudges suck and endure. Got one on my back line 20 years now I wish I could have handled differently initially but seems he's burned his bridges with everyone on his perimeter.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Some people are just defective. IIRC, Dr. Lecter referred to them as the "free range rude".
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

"Do you have a back hoe ? Can you get one at a reasonable price ? A back hoe should be cheaper than a lawyer ?
Precision

Post by Precision »

toad wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:31 am "Do you have a back hoe ? Can you get one at a reasonable price ? A back hoe should be cheaper than a lawyer ?
There are good back hoes and bad ones. I have yet to find a good lawyer (that wasn't room temp).
A joke but with a lot of truth. I do know a few good lawyers, but most of them practice IP law and fight FOR the gun industry.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

toad wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:31 am "Do you have a back hoe ? Can you get one at a reasonable price ? A back hoe should be cheaper than a lawyer ?
No back hoe, but I have a number of logs around that I have been dragging along the property line. They gave been quiet since the incident so I am more than willing to let things slide. We will see.