Tiny Tim

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
randy

Re: Tiny Tim

Post by randy »

OK guys, let's keep it calm. I'm checking with the other Mods.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Hola guys, I actually did give approval for a bleg from a long time member. DD, I didn't realize you hadn't posted in so long, you can see why everyone is a bit skeptical. But for the record, I did ok it the other day in the spirit of the GC and the holiday.

DD, let's not be too aggressive when asking for charity.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:01 am
Dedicated_Dad wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:24 am I thought there'd be no problem getting a few bucks here & there. Clearly I overestimated my fellow men. Sadly, it's not the first time. If you don't want to help, fine. Go your way - but kindly don't impugn my integrity. That's a road neither of us wants to travel.
Nobody here is interested in being byrned again.
Sad that became a verb.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

scipioafricanus wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:15 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:01 am
Dedicated_Dad wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:24 am I thought there'd be no problem getting a few bucks here & there. Clearly I overestimated my fellow men. Sadly, it's not the first time. If you don't want to help, fine. Go your way - but kindly don't impugn my integrity. That's a road neither of us wants to travel.
Nobody here is interested in being byrned again.
Sad that became a verb.
Damn skippy
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:01 am I'm not sure what the fuck you expected. Guy disappears for years, then suddenly somebody who may or may not be the same person shows up under his username with his hand out asking for money... Even if you are the same DD that we knew all those years ago, you missed quite a lot. Nobody here is interested in being byrned again.
I can feel that one from here.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I got byrned for about $3000. He also hit Correia and Glenn Reynolds via their fan bases. He pulled $25k and $35k respectively IIRC.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

That’s insane.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Precision wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:07 am I got byrned for about $3000. He also hit Correia and Glenn Reynolds via their fan bases. He pulled $25k and $35k respectively IIRC.
Which is why you should give local to organizations and people that you can vet (and have access to).

EDIT: I wasn’t trying to be insensitive to your loss, I’m sorry about all that you went through! :oops:
Precision

Post by Precision »

AlaskaTRX wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:46 pm
Precision wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:07 am I got byrned for about $3000. He also hit Correia and Glenn Reynolds via their fan bases. He pulled $25k and $35k respectively IIRC.
Which is why you should give local to organizations and people that you can vet (and have access to).

EDIT: I wasn’t trying to be insensitive to your loss, I’m sorry about all that you went through! :oops:
No worries. It happens and with byrned boy, I was looking to keep it in the community and do both of us a solid. unfortunately he, is / was / not sure of his current status, a giant user and scumbag.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:02 am That’s insane.
A little. What is more insane, at least in my mind; I contacted both Larry and Glenn through a third party that knows them both fairly well. they listened to my story but refused to publicly out byrne boy. Instead they just cut off the fundraising and allowed him to take what he got. Not sure if it was to not potential face a lawsuit or if to just sweep the getting used under the rug.

What I do know is if Larry had been upfront about it, then Glenn probably would have known better when he was asked to post the new gofundme link. No guarantees in life, but at least many who overlap with Larry and Glenn would have been warned for take part II.