Livin' in America!

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MarkD

Livin' in America!

Post by MarkD »

Last night I had a brief discussion with the priest of the church I'm considering joining. (Long story short, I've given up on the Episcopal Church for a number of reasons, and I found a Roman Catholic church in the Anglican Ordinariate in Scranton. I'm attending an Inquirer's Class on Sunday evening, I'll provide more information if anyone is interested).

When Fr B arrived he said he'd been out to the range. His father died last Spring, and he "inherited an arsenal", so he took his nephew shooting. I told him what a culture shock this was for me, in NJ a priest saying he'd gone shooting would have made most of his parishioners retire to their fainting couches. He said "Well, your right to defend your life predates the state, therefore the state has no power to deprive you of the means to defend your own life." I told him briefly of the hoops I jumped thru as a gun owner in NYC and NJ and he sat there in wide eyed amazement.

I realize I'm in America now, but every once in a while I'm surprised and just how DIFFERENT people think around here, compared to where I came from.
BDK

Re: Livin' in America!

Post by BDK »

What's even more surprising is that, given a Catechism I've forgotten the number of, a Catholic, and all Christians, are required to defend their lives. That the NYC/NJ priests have abandoned this, is bizarre.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Isn't it great? It's like I came home.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Yep
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Not long now till we leave ill-annoyistan in the dust and the past.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

No idea about which catechism, but I believe the relevant verse is Luke 22:36
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
BDK

Post by BDK »

That's the admonition to carry arms.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I've said it before, but I've been experiencing a nice type of culture shock since we moved. The week we moved in 5 1/2 months ago, the local volunteer fire and rescue squad had a gun raffle as a fund-raiser, complete with pistols and at least one AR-15. Such a thing would've caused hysteria back in NJ, and accusations of trying to drum up business for the ambulance by "putting guns on the street".

I suspect it'll even make the PA winters worth-while.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 pm I suspect it'll even make the PA winters worth-while.
Want some free advice? Buy a generator.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:31 pm
MarkD wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 pm I suspect it'll even make the PA winters worth-while.
Want some free advice? Buy a generator.
I looked into it, and also asked on the community FB page about them. Consensus seems to be that the last time power went out for more than a couple hours was when it went out for a day after Sandy (for comparison, in NJ I was out for nine days after Sandy).

I may still spring for one hooked up to the propane tank, which I have anyway.