Rubber band, rubberband man!

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
blackeagle603

Rubber band, rubberband man!

Post by blackeagle603 »

Just a FWIW since there's been a lot of workout/fitness discussion here over the years.

Since August a year ago I've been using the X3Bar. I was a bit skeptical about the (apparently) high cost and the reported benefits of variable resistance training with bands.

A year+ later and I'm a believer.

a) Feel like I totally got my money's worth
a1) Customer service has been good. I had an early version of the baseplate that I wore out/stress cracking. Quick easy replacement (upgrade) sent out with a single email contact
b) Still using it regularly. It's that rare piece of workout gear that has not turned into a clothes hanger or corner clutter/dust catcher.
c) Gains at 58, now 59, like never in my life. I've had to retire suit jackets and go shopping. I'm a classic hard gainer. Long pencil neck body type. At my most fit I've been hard but never bulked (except some in legs and butt)
d) It's super efficient use of time. Minimum effective dose comes fast. Done in 8-14 minutes.
Depending on the day and how heavy I'm going (higher or lower reps) to failure, and whether I'm emphasizing recovery between sets or going from set to set quickly to emphasize lactic acid
Last edited by blackeagle603 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Re: Rubber band, rubberband man!

Post by HTRN »

You might be interested to know that strongmen frequently use chains as variable resistance- the chains are so long, that most of it sits on the floor at the lowest position, with the higher the elevation of the bar, the more effective the weight is.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yep, I AM interested to know that -- and do Variable resistance really is the magic hack for gains. :)

Bands give a more non-linear variability. You (generally) get a higher peak load than the max you or your joints could support in the weak range with weights.

One set to complete failure with these and quit. You keep going as range becomes limited until your few are just pretty much isometric contractions with failure to move anything.

It's packable easily. I've traveled with it. Part of the magic is that it's so quick -- no big setup time. No drive to gym time. Leaves time for life.

Only problem some seem to have is that their life has been going to the gym and they miss that -- it's been their whole world socially.

Me? I'd rather get it done in 10 minutes and go surf or walk or work on something.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Not used the X3Bar, but when I busted my ankle last year the rubber bands worked better than I expected.

Ended up with quite a bit of atrophy in that leg and I didn't really expect rubber bands to be all that helpful. They did pretty well. I don't look like I stole someone else's leg anymore.

Need to find some exercises for the lower back. Have a herrniated disk, so I have ended up babying my back to the point it is getting weak. Now I'm pulling muscles all the time doing normal stuff.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:25 pm Bands give a more non-linear variability. You (generally) get a higher peak load than the max you or your joints could support in the weak range with weights.
Keep in mind these guys were adding 100+ lbs of chain to a bar that was already holding several hundred lbs in free weight - Eddie Hall is currently training to break the raw bench press record, and one of his latest videos show him doing multiple reps with 676 lbs.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

yes, but that misses the point of how variable a range is presented as compared to the elastic loading of a band.
The chain links add linearly. The band loading increases by some non-linear function.

e.g. At 6" tall I can take the band I'm currently squating with from just about zero in a deep bottomed out squat to 300# at the top. I don't go that deep of course because I'm keeping in tension the whole time.

Then with progressive failure as my range gets limit as I approach exhaustion, I can exhaust the muscles in that weaker range w/out having the sort of load that jeopardizes my joints.

toad

Post by toad »

It sounds good if you have a small apartment like I do. What bothers me is no body is mentioning the actual price on line. That is scary to me.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I'm not sure about current pricing. With discount codes it's about $540. I think I paid about 450-475 at the time with a discount code. They've upgraded the bar since I bought mine. Seems steep I know but...

Like I said
I was a bit skeptical about the (apparently) high cost and the reported benefits of variable resistance training with bands.
But that's been worth it to me.
a) That's cheaper than most gym memberships for a year
b) I've actually used it regularly/faithfully for over a year now
c) I've actually made gains and reduced pain/alignment problems with shoulders and elbow.

toad

Post by toad »

I'm thinking about saving up for it. My whole skeleton needs work. Knees, upper vertebrae , left hip joint, and etc.
toad

Post by toad »

Well I got on Craig'sList for my area and looked for a used X3bar. No luck, though it was interesting to see all the exercise equipment for sale. Smith Machines , squat racks, and etc. I checked Amazon and they didn't carry it but what was interesting was that they had what looked like a Chinese rip off of the system for $180 . Body Boss 2.0.