Tool Storage

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MarkD

Re: Tool Storage

Post by MarkD »

I saw a.craftsman pro series that cost about $1500 IIRC. Had features I didn't need like the ability to lock or unlock from cell phone.

I don't use my tools.every day, I just want them organized so I can find what I need and secure when I want to secure them, mostly keeping kids out so they don't get hurt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I bought one of the new Craftsman upper cabinets from Lowes earlier this year, and it seems OK so far.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
g-man

Post by g-man »

Had a Craftsman lower, middle, and upper, and SWMBO noticed an oversized rolling lower on clearance at the Sears they were closing in Honolulu a couple of assignments ago. So she dutifully stood by it and called me on my cellphone so I'd come over and let her know if it was a good deal (it was). IIRC I paid just over $70 for it, and got more value in tools which had fallen down in the sides next to the drawers (it was the store's on-floor tool cabinet before they sold it) than I paid (a bunch of strap wrenches, files, small files, etc), so I basically got the box for free.

I've seen the really big ones at HF. They're significantly better than the Chinesium set I hauled around for my first couple of moves. The 'made in China' stuff today really has come a long way in the last two decades or so. I'd like a BIG set with bigger drawers so I can get a couple of tools from around the garage marshalled up, but that'll have to wait until I retire and don't have to move it so much.

I have a pegboard built in to one of the tool benches, and if I the movers didn't lose all the pieces, I should have the upper parts I took off of the other workbench to add a set to that as well. I keep things like the 3-lb sledge, rubber mallet, a claw hammer and ball-peen hammer, a couple of pliers, and a couple of screwdrivers there for exactly the 'hey this screw backed out' or "I need to hit this thing with an actual hammer" tasks that come up. I really ought to do the 'outlines on the board' thing now that the older kiddo is big enough to grab stuff for me so she knows where to put it back.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Well I got the tool chest this evening. Getting it out of the car took some doing since my wife wasn't strong enough to lift one side, but it's in the garage, wheels and handle attached, and the top chest is on the floor next to the bottom. When my brother in law is around this weekend I'll enlist his help to get the top on the bottom, again wife couldn't lift one side and wasn't tall enough to lift it that high anyway, and my arms aren't long enough to grab both handles and pick it up.

Thing is built like a tank. Gonna do me fine, and I'm pretty sure there's plenty of room. As I said, if not there's a cart I've had my eye on....

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-5-D ... 64031.html
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Im surprised you couldnt lift it yourself, i didnt think they were that heavy.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:21 am Im surprised you couldnt lift it yourself, i didnt think they were that heavy.
HF website says the top weighs 116 lbs.

I could lift it,.but couldn't reach the handles on either side and lift it high enough to get it on the bottom, the handles are mounted near the top of the box. I was also worn out from jackassing it out of the car and getting the bottom together, may try again today while I'm fresh.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

HTRN wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:31 pm The HF are built like the Cratsman of 20+ years ago. And its more than "double" to do significantly better - you really would have to move up to Snapon, Mac, etc to really get a better box, and theyrr firmly in the "nice used car" level of pricing - i was initially planning to go this route, but gave up when i couldnt find any nice used snapon boxes under 5 grand.
Friend of mine who passed a while ago was the best mechanic I have ever known. He had all Snapon, Matco, etc. tools and he kept them in Craftsmen boxes. He was also one of the best drag boat racers of his time. Guy was 5'4" and all of 145 pounds. Half of it was his giant brass testicles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkFA8LBXLiI
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I noticed a side benefit of the tool cabinet. The top shelf of the cabinet is about mouth level on me (5'10"), which makes it a perfect place to hide my (5'2") wife's presents where she won't see them.....

Currently in the process of emptying tool boxes and putting stuff into the cabinet. I think I'm going to hang onto one big toolbox to keep stuff I hardly ever use (like Dad's pipe wrenches), keep them out of the way but where I know where to find them if/when I need them.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:31 pm The HF are built like the Cratsman of 20+ years ago. And its more than "double" to do significantly better - you really would have to move up to Snapon, Mac, etc to really get a better box, and theyrr firmly in the "nice used car" level of pricing - i was initially planning to go this route, but gave up when i couldnt find any nice used snapon boxes under 5 grand.
HTRN: It seems HF now has a new line of boxes aimed squarely at Snap-On for a third to half the price. Look at Youtube channel Den of Tools ("The Bear"), he's got a couple videos about them including some leaked pricing and a comparison of with Snap On.

Still far out of my price range, but my US General works just fine for what I use it for.
Precision

Post by Precision »

living in Florida. Peg board was worthless stuff. You could apply spray poly to it for a little more life... but they make metal peg board

https://www.wallcontrol.com/pegboard/?k ... 0-%20Steel

another option might be

https://www.costway.com/3-pcs-18-magnet ... t=Hardware
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/