Giving some thought to a move to WA

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
rightisright

Giving some thought to a move to WA

Post by rightisright »

Almost everywhere is better than NJ. But I have been reading about WA politicos (mostly Seattle based) changing 2A laws for the worse. It appears that a CCW is still pretty easy to obtain, though.

My lady is a spectacular cook/baker w 3 years of formal training before life took over and she had kids w. her ex. She is currently out in WA in the Yakima area taking care of her elderly dad. She also works with a 76 year old caterer who books 300 gigs a year and is looking to retire soon. We could easily buy the business with the sale of mine (It's no dynasty, but I could probably get 100K with all the trailers, trucks, tools, website, referrals and great online reviews).

It would be a huge pain in the ass to move. But I am tiring of the construction business (been doing it for over 30 years) and I am seriously tiring of NJ. I would gladly be her sous chef. I just don't want to move to a state that is becoming NJ Jr. Any Washingtonians care to comment?
Greg

Re: Giving some thought to a move to WA

Post by Greg »

Only people I know from WA all got the hell out.

It's about where New York State was in the 60s, in my opinion. With parallels from Seattle to NYC.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

I used to live there.

I'd say to stay the heck away. From what I understand, the taxes on a business are horrendous. The sales taxes are horrendous. Gun laws are horrendous thanks to I-594 and I-1639. State preemption is probably dead because of Seattle and King County judges. The state supreme court is a partisan joke. Seattle is about like San Fransicko when it comes to bums and street varmints making filth.

King County makes the state totally batshit nuts.

I'm pretty sure that it's only a matter of time until they get a state income tax. IIRC, Seattle is trying to push a state court case about that.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that King County pulls WA far to the left. If you get rid of King and Pierce or Snohomish Counties (which probably contain large numbers of Seattle commuters) Trump/Hillary are within around 10k votes of each other.

On the plus side, CCW is easier than NJ and open carry is legal. The people on the east side of the state hate Seattle. I think anyone who doesn't live in a major city hates Seattle. In some cases Seattle is a literal dumpster fire. (Warning: Faecesbook link). The I-5 corridor is a big part of what messes up the state.

Washington State is trying to start a mileage tax, too. Fremont, a suburb of Seattle has a literal statue of Lenin, too.

So, umm, yeah. Stay away because Washington is fast becoming infested with Californians.

Source: I lived there until 2016.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Sigh... thanks for confirming what I thought. Sounds like it would be a small upgrade from NJ, but not enough to move.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Check out Idaho. Washington, Oregon, and California are all lost. Coeur D'alene is right over the state line.
Jered

Post by Jered »

rightisright wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:50 pm Sigh... thanks for confirming what I thought. Sounds like it would be a small upgrade from NJ, but not enough to move.
It used to be a decent state until the moonbats ruined it.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well, it was in an okayish balance until the Dems realized they could could get away with election fraud. Been rapidly downhill since
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

tfbncc wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:21 am Check out Idaho. Washington, Oregon, and California are all lost. Coeur D'alene is right over the state line.
How is the weather there? Lady doesn't want to move anywhere colder than North NJ or Yakima Valley, WA.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

I grew up in Western Washington in the Tacoma/Puyallup area. I went back there after retiring from the Navy in the mid 1990's. I didn't like the changes I saw. Growing up, we used to go camping almost every weekend of the year with many trips over the Cascades into Eastern Washington and occasionally into Idaho.

So, Idaho has very similar weather to Yakima. The highs during the summer top out around 90 degrees. Lows in winter will drop below freezing and there will be snow. Precipitation is less than the national average. If your lady knows anyone in the Spokane area, talk to them. Spokane and Ceour D'Alene are neighboring cities. I have a nephew that lives in Spokane. I'll try to contact him and get some more up to date info.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

rightisright wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:59 am
tfbncc wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:21 am Check out Idaho. Washington, Oregon, and California are all lost. Coeur D'alene is right over the state line.
How is the weather there? Lady doesn't want to move anywhere colder than North NJ or Yakima Valley, WA.
Any place with decent weather will be filled with leftists.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt