It's official, PCSing to TX.

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Weetabix

Re: It's official, PCSing to TX.

Post by Weetabix »

I deal with specific engineering documents needed for certain types of loans. We regularly hear, "We're closing at 2 PM today! Can you get it to us right now?"

Title companies never seem to have their crap together.

I hope it closes smoothly on the day.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rod

Post by Rod »

Haven't visited the board for a while so I missed this announcement. You've got a place to stay if you stop in El Paso.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
g-man

Post by g-man »

It’s official, we own a house in TX. Apparently the seller had to bring money to closing and sent a cashier’s check with their paperwork. Which of course meant FEDEX was running behind on Friday. Got word from title at 6pm Texas time that everything was complete. Realtor is going to mail us one key and hang on to the other one until we get there just in case. Barring any major stupidity enroute, we should be there in 1 month.

Now for the full-court press on packing prep. Cleaners and carpet cleaners are scheduled for the days after the movers... but we need to get the stuff we’re moving ourselves packed up and segregated. T-minus 12 days to packers. And counting.
Rod wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:40 pm Haven't visited the board for a while so I missed this announcement. You've got a place to stay if you stop in El Paso.
Thanks. If you’ve got space for the truck and RV trailer (and somehow to plug it in or don’t mind the generator running), wife’s car and the box trailer, and don’t mind 3 dogs, I might take you up on that. We stayed just in NM at an RV park in Anthony last time we PCS’d across the country, so we’ll definitely be in the area.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Rod's offer works for us too. We are 25 miles south of Ashfork in Paulden, so just off of I-40. If you are going south through El Paso, you can shortcut the 1-40/1-17 interchange. We have power and water and a fenced yard that has accomodated dogs before. Large yard, lots of room for another RV & truck. We are about a day's drive short of Rod's.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Precision

Post by Precision »

Both Rod and Dana's hospitality is quite wonderful. I have experienced both.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Post by randy »

Precision wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:40 pm Both Rod and Dana's hospitality is quite wonderful. I have experienced both.
+1
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
g-man

Post by g-man »

We made it to Tucson. Many thanks for the offers of places to stay, but with the route planning and timing, the stops aren’t going to align. We made it from Vacaville to Lake Isabella in one day, stayed a day, and then made it from there to Tucson in two. We’ll leave here on Sunday and make a 3 day jaunt to the Ft Hood area. The kids could probably make it to Rod’s place on Sunday, but that would likely burn their ‘good behavior budget’ for Monday before we even get to Monday, so we’re going to stop in Anthony NM.

Honestly I’m just glad we got this far without me murdering the cat, who is normally awesome, as cats go. Decided to not want to go into her cat box area after meowing incessantly in the truck, then didn’t want to come out, then hid inside the box itself... which is only a pain because the box is located through a cat door into the storage space under the lower bunk in our rig... to keep the dogs out of it while we’re set up. None of which really matters to y’all, other than being yet another thing you can point and laugh about while thinking “better him than me...”

We’ve had no issues with tires or wheels this go (Murphy fucked with us pretty hard last time), since we have new tires on everything. To include the spares. However, the wife’s car has started flashing overheating warnings toward the top of longer, steeper grades. Hasn’t flipped to “limp home mode” at all, but it’s another gremlin to chase. Put a new pressure cap on the reservoir and a new air filter in to see if better intake flow and a bit higher coolant boiling point would help, to no avail. Going to have the coolant flushed and filled tomorrow since it’s probably overdue. Fingers crossed that this fixes the problem, but even if it doesn’t, we’re pretty much clear of major elevation nonsense after the morning on Monday, so we’ll just take it easy.
randy

Post by randy »

Thanks for the SITREP. Good luck on the rest of the trip.

I stayed in Tuscon (Davis-Monthan AFB actually) during a PCS move back in '83. First time I ever saw A-10's in flight. Saw the Boneyard from a distance but didn't have time to stop and take a tour (I'm not sure they offer tours any more) and often wish I had.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Well, drat. This is what I get for not checking the board.

Would have been nice to treat to a breakfast or lunch while you were here, and said hello.

Hope the rest of your trip and move goes well.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
g-man

Post by g-man »

No worries. Checking the board is part of my morning 'boot up sequence', so I'm here pretty much every day. The last PCS, we were much less prepared at the house, but the trip and stops were laid out and reserved in advance. This time, I mis-understood "we'll just stay at the same place as last time we went this way" as implying she had looked at the map and had secured a reservation. The house was better prepped for the packers though.

As it stands, we pushed through El Paso and are just East of there. Which is good, because whoever was in charge of planning and signage for the complete shut-down of I-10E through El Paso should be shot. That was terrible on a Sunday afternoon, so I can only imagine how stupid it is this morning. At one point we were completely out-of-whack (ran out of the work zone and there were no more detour signs), but then saw a cow trailer that had passed us going East, and followed him back to the interstate.