published - bug in vs bug out

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Precision

published - bug in vs bug out

Post by Precision »

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Rumpshot

Re: published - bug in vs bug out

Post by Rumpshot »

Great article.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Yep. Thanks for sharing that.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
randy

Post by randy »

Good article.

One possibility for long term (Katrina type) situations: If you have someplace (such as the bug out location with a friend Precision mentioned), maybe stock some replacement non-perishable supplies there. As some point you might be able to go and retrieve or have your friend bring in a re-supply during an extended period of disruption locally. At the least, if the bug-in location becomes non-viable, you have someplace to go and then plan the next move.

For those with medical issues, develop a list of locations outside any probable impact zone where you can go to get needed treatments. Your current provider may be able to help.

Example: Locally we were contacted by several dialysis centers (mostly stand alone for-profit types, local hospitals already have plans to operate in disasters) as to how we were going to supply them power and water during a long term disaster. Our response was we wouldn't. We would assist in coordinating (not providing)transportation to an area where other branches of their company (or even their competitors) were still operational.

I would suggest that individuals think along those lines and get their own information in place of where they could go to get what they need.

For instance, my long range bug out plan is to head from Ohio to Iowa where my brother lives, and where there are several top line medical facilities not far from where he lives. If the disaster area is big enough to encompass both locations, then pretty much any practical plan is screwed anyway.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Good write up. Short and to the point. Left reader with plenty to ponder, follow up on and read up on.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

Very good post. I've started my own preps. We came to the conclusion that bugging out is not in the cards, unless it's the last resort. I'm not young any more, and she is disabled. We have started our safe room, with plans to harden it more soon. Having lived on deployment for extended periods (a year in Bosnia was the biggie), I already had a pretty good idea of what was needed. The great increase in availability of small-scale, affordable solar power for charging phones, lights, and radios has helped greatly in the last ten or so years. Another thing that I have focused on is to have multiple types or numbers of each essential piece of equipment. "Two is one, and one is none." MANY lights, flashlights, lanterns, solar path lights (night lights), candles. Batteries. Lots and lots of batteries, rechargeable of course but also a large stash of alkaline for trade and backup. Water filtration, purification, and storage. Multiple first aid kits, extra supplies, and both of us trained in first aid. Several types of stoves, with different types of fuel. Knives. MANY knives, both as tools and for barter. Tools. The lists can grow, and although we have a condo now, we are leaving this metro area in a few years. Too many people, unprepared and uncaring for anyone but themselves, will make this a non-viable place in the long term.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Rumpshot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 pmGreat article.

Thanks, every once in a while I do something good. :mrgreen:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Precision

Post by Precision »

randy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:23 pm If the disaster area is big enough to encompass both locations, then pretty much any practical plan is screwed anyway.

Then you pick your hill and die well.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Precision wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:22 am
randy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:23 pm If the disaster area is big enough to encompass both locations, then pretty much any practical plan is screwed anyway.

Then you pick your hill and die well.
Which points to bugging in, since my house can haul a lot more guns, ammo, food, and water than my truck can. SWMBO has come onboard with keeping extra water onhand, and has always been onboard with a retirement place needing to be on a couple of acres at least. I can't remember who here on the board said it, but sidewalks are a good canary in the coal mine for indicating anywhere that the population density is too high.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Outstanding! Thanks.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.