Anybody had a knee replacement?

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Weetabix

Anybody had a knee replacement?

Post by Weetabix »

Went to see the doctor about my right knee. He referred me to an orthopedist. It's not good when the orthopedist is checking your knee, and he says, "Oh, wow! That's really sloppy."

He says I need knee replacement. I figured that was coming some day since it's been pretty bad for years. I was trying to wait it out - kind of use up this knee before I got the new one. But I guess it's time. He said they should last at least 20 years, so that would put me mid 70's.

I asked him how it compared to a hip replacement. My daughter-in-law's mom just had that. He said hips are a piece of cake compared to knees. Oh, joy!

So, has anyone else had a knee replacement? What should I expect?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MarkD

Re: Anybody had a knee replacement?

Post by MarkD »

My mother-in-law had one a few years ago, she was in her early 80s at the time. She got thru it just fine. Just DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU. Do the rehab, EXACTLY as they tell you and don't try to push it faster than they tell you. Don't skip rehab,don't overdo rehab.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I was already planning on following orders. I suppose if a little old lady can do it, I should be able to do it.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Weetabix wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:47 pm I was already planning on following orders. I suppose if a little old lady can do it, I should be able to do it.
You called my mother in law a.little old lady.

Hahahahahahahaha. That's funny.

Yeah, she's 5'0" generously. She's now in her late 80s. She's also the second toughest "little old lady" I've ever known. For the record my own mother was number 1, I was away one time and someone was banging on the back door who had no reason to be there. Mom was standing back from the door with (deceased) dad's 4 lb drilling hammer ready to bash his head in had he gotten thru the door.
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

I spoke to a man a few years back who had both knees done. A week later he was at counter, mailing something, walking just fine and no cane either. He was quite happy about it. He was in his 60s.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

308 Mike had both knees done, if I remember right. One went great, the other was ok.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Greg

Post by Greg »

Father in law had one done. He's pretty happy about it, but couldn't get around on his own at all for a little while.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Well, I guess I'll find out how it goes soon enough.

My drafter found some pre-operation exercises for me. They don't look too bad, but the demonstrator made it look like they require yoga pants and leg warmers. Not looking forward to that. :P
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

All ill say is, ask about scar tissue.

Certain ethnic groups generate excess scar tissue, so months after surgury, you may find yourself with almost no range of motion.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Will do.

Which groups? I don't seem to scar too badly.