May Be Relocating Soon

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MarkD

Re: May Be Relocating Soon

Post by MarkD »

Termite wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:21 am You New Jerseyians have a ridiculous number of rules/permits/etc when it comes to housing and repairs. Not surprising, since apparently you can't pump your own gasoline...... :roll:

As for water heaters here in Cenla, you buy a water heater from Lowe's, and they will accept your old one for a $20 fee, you bring it in. They do the same thing for refrigerators and freezers.

Convenient. 8-)
Well someone's gotta pay the full time salary of the councilman's brother in law, er, i mean inspector who works from 4:30 to 6 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

One week to go, movers coming at 7:30 on 4/30, empty the house, then we get in our cars (all things interesting to guncounter folks in mine, because New Jersey), drive to the free state of PA, close on our new house and begin our new life. Movers bring all our stuff on 5/1. Then begins the painting, unpacking, and general settling in to our new home.

Need to get schooled on AR15 rifles because I can and eff anyone who says otherwise.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Tomorrow!!!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Sweet.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

the best schooling on AR's is go and buy one and watch them replicate.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
g-man

Post by g-man »

Precision wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:11 am the best schooling on AR's is go and buy one and watch them replicate.
I know I have a lower parts kit, and a pistol buffer and tube somewhere... as as soon as I give up looking and just buy another kit, they'll turn up. Which means buying another stripped lower. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Also, being inside 4 weeks from movers showing up... I look forward to being <1 day out like you are now.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

g-man wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:29 am
Precision wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:11 am the best schooling on AR's is go and buy one and watch them replicate.
I know I have a lower parts kit, and a pistol buffer and tube somewhere... as as soon as I give up looking and just buy another kit, they'll turn up. Which means buying another stripped lower. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Also, being inside 4 weeks from movers showing up... I look forward to being <1 day out like you are now.
The last few weeks have been busier than a cat covering sh*t on a tin roof, believe me. Both cars are filled to bursting with stuff we wanted to move ourselves, and we still have to squeeze a.few last minute things in. I'll be truly glad when it's finally over.

I know all the work and stress will be worth it.
Precision

Post by Precision »

My method with AR's.

Buy a mid price lower (I like Spike's Tactical) but I have Anderson and some others as well. I buy quality lower parts kits. I like the ones from ALG. Watch a lower assembly video like Brownells or Midway USA's. Build the lower. Buying a built lower usually doubles the price and gets you an inferior set of springs, etc and really only saves about 30 minutes after you have done the first one.

Also buying the soon to be gun as parts saves the 11% tax on assembled guns. Even if that is a complete lower and a complete upper as long as they don't ship together.

I run decent to good triggers depending on the purpose of the build. The ALG ones are a good value to not have a shit trigger that comes with the generic lower kit. The generics are typically like pushing a school bus with solid wooden shocks up a rock strewn road way. For other builds Geiselle or others like Larue work well. It might be a good idea to get a style of trigger you like and stay with it for consistency sake, but ymmv.

I always get a decent stock. I like several of the Magpul options. Depending on the use I will go up or down in features or price. Others make good ones as well. Just make sure with internet buying, not to get an airsoft one. Basic ones from lower parts kits are worse than nothing

I am a giant fanboy of Gear Head Works Tailhook pistol braces for AR pistols. I have several of the Mod 1 and Mod 2 options. great stuff IMHO.

I usually buy assembled uppers. PSA has been good to me for kicking around guns and for my 3 gun rig. I have 1800 rounds +/- with no issues. My precision upper came from White Oaks Armament and it is AWESOMELY accurate. I have an odd assortment of others for 9mm and .45 caliber. Those typically need to have a lower and upper from the same company as "proprietary".

Hope that helps.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Also might as well start getting your trust set up.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Move is done,.we're getting unpacked and organized. My two brothers in law came by and helped me sheetrock and unfinished storage room and helped with other chores. My sister in law (aka the Angel Who Walks on Earth) has been feeding us and helping clean.

Even though I'm busy as Hell, I'm no longer stressed and I absolutely LOVE our new home.