May Be Relocating Soon

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MarkD

May Be Relocating Soon

Post by MarkD »

Well, here's what's going on in the D household.

For a few years now my wife and I have been talking about moving to North Carolina when we retire, get away from the Northern winters, etc. The biggest problem with that is distance from my wife's family, she's close to them, we get together maybe once a month for birthdays/holidays/just because. Plus, since she lost her Dad last November,she didn't want to relocate while her Mom was still around (and her Mom is quite likely to outlive me).

Last June my wife accepted a retirement package at work, it was a pretty good deal, they offered it to people who were within three years of eligibility for retirement, gave them three years of pension payments, plus severance based on years of service (for instance she got nine months of pay, instead of the normal 12 weeks when there's not a special package). She took it because obviously they were trying to reduce head count, and if enough people didn't take it there would likely be layoffs (without the pension and severance upgrades). She intended to get a new job, but so far has been unsuccessful.

Rewinding a bit, there's a gated community in PA (the Hideout in Lake Ariel,in the Poconos) where my wife's family has taken a more-or-less annual family vacation for decades, long before I joined the family. It's a nice place, a number of lakes, skiing in winter, 9 hole golf course, club house, activities, etc. A few years ago my brother-in-law and sister-in-law bought a place in there (it was their last-daughter-graduated-college present to themselves). I started suggesting the Hideout as a possible place to retire to, it's close enough to her family that, while long for a day trip, we could do an overnight trip. The downside is the snow in winter, but the upside is no hurricanes. Well a couple weeks ago my wife started giving it serious consideration, and now she's excited at the prospect.

We're not in a position where I can retire yet, but I've been putting out feelers about working remotely. Several people on the project do so now, and I'm important enough to the project that the client should be OK with it.

There are a number of advantages:
- I'll lose my 4+ hours a day of commuting. If I need to come in, they'll need to put me up overnight, but I don't see that happening very often. I seldom attend in-person meetings now. This also means I'll have time and energy for things I enjoy, like fishing and model trains.
- the almost $400 a month in commuting will disappear.
- the taxes and fees for a house in the Hideout will be about 1/3 of what I currently pay in property taxes. In fact the money I'll save on commuting will mostly cover the taxes and fees.
- we could sell our house in NJ, pay off what we owe on it, and have PLENTY to buy the new house with, make any upgrades it needs, and still end up with money in the bank. (Three years ago my BIL and SIL bought a house for about a third of what my house would sell for).
- We'll be close enough to her family that weekend visits are do-able, plus it's easily driveable in case of emergency.
- If we want to do the big family vacation, we'll have two houses for people to stay in. Most of us (18 people IIRC) stayed in my BIL and SIL's house last year and it was crowded but manageable.

About the only disadvantage is the winter weather. Lots of houses there are all electric (expensive to heat), we'd look for a place with propane heat and maybe a wood stove. Probably a generator too in case the power goes out, and make sure when snow's coming we have plenty of food in the house if we're snowbound for a couple days. There are no sidewalks (I know a selling point for HTRN), there are guys with plows who will clear the driveway, so I'd only need to clear the steps and walkways.

We're talking about making the move next Spring.
HTRN

Re: May Be Relocating Soon

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:18 pm .About the only disadvantage is the winter weather.
I've heard it said, that snow before thanksgiving is normal, and snow before Halloween is a good indication of a bad winter.

Go search under my user name about me up there house hunting in mid April, with the locals deciding it was an excellent day for ice fishing - the temperature was in the low twenties.

That same year, a guy at work who lives in Damascus, didn't see his lawn till memorial day.

Admittedly it was an exceptionally bad winter that year, but if you do move up there, plan on buying a 4wd, or at least a Subie, otherwise you might find yourself unable to go anywhere for weeks.

You also overlooked the income tax issue - PA is a flat 3%, vs NJs progressive one,
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

Getting away from Jersey has done me a world of good. I hope it works out.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:51 am
MarkD wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:18 pm .About the only disadvantage is the winter weather.
I've heard it said, that snow before thanksgiving is normal, and snow before Halloween is a good indication of a bad winter.

Go search under my user name about me up there house hunting in mid April, with the locals deciding it was an excellent day for ice fishing - the temperature was in the low twenties.

That same year, a guy at work who lives in Damascus, didn't see his lawn till memorial day.

Admittedly it was an exceptionally bad winter that year, but if you do move up there, plan on buying a 4wd, or at least a Subie, otherwise you might find yourself unable to go anywhere for weeks.

You also overlooked the income tax issue - PA is a flat 3%, vs NJs progressive one,
Hell, we had snow in NJ in April of this year....

Our current cars are a 4WD Jeep Liberty and an AWD Ford Edge, so we're in good shape for winter car-wise.

Also no state income tax on pensions and 401Ks, unlike NJ.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Greg wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:00 am Getting away from Jersey has done me a world of good. I hope it works out.
I'm expecting quality-of-life to improve substantially. Hell, a minimum of 3 1/2 hours a day NOT commuting is a big deal. I could do a lot with that time.

Lest you think I joke about commuting time, I leave home in the morning at 6:10 and typically walk into my office at about 7:50. If there are delays on any of the three trains I take I'm later. Then reverse the process coming home.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:12 pm Hell, we had snow in NJ in April of this year....
Theres a difference between a brief flurry of snow, and near zero temps sticking around long enough to keep a resevoir frozen enough to ice fish on until April. That year, the got something like 15 feet of snow.

Its a combination of no heat island effect, and the mountains up there trapping that cold air long past when the surrounding plains have started warming up.

Something else to keep in mind, There isnt a great deal of entertainment to be had there that isnt outdoor sports (hunting/fishing/etc). Theres a movie theater in honesdale though it is small by typical multiplex standards. The restaurant options.. arent great. Ive been informed that periodically a decent place opens, but the winter season invariably causes them to close in a year or two.

OH! Make sure you have a generator, and a decent supply of fuel, ice occasionally takes out the lines, and you can wind up spending a week or more with no power.
MarkD wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:17 pm Lest you think I joke about commuting time, I leave home in the morning at 6:10 and typically walk into my office at about 7:50. If there are delays on any of the three trains I take I'm later. Then reverse the process coming home.
I wish i had a sub 2 hour commute in by public transportation - it takes me close to that now going in by car.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:33 pm
MarkD wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:12 pm Hell, we had snow in NJ in April of this year....
Theres a difference between a brief flurry of snow, and near zero temps sticking around long enough to keep a resevoir frozen enough to ice fish on until April. That year, the got something like 15 feet of snow.

Its a combination of no heat island effect, and the mountains up there trapping that cold air long past when the surrounding plains have started warming up.

Something else to keep in mind, There isnt a great deal of entertainment to be had there that isnt outdoor sports (hunting/fishing/etc). Theres a movie theater in honesdale though it is small by typical multiplex standards. The restaurant options.. arent great. Ive been informed that periodically a decent place opens, but the winter season invariably causes them to close in a year or two.

OH! Make sure you have a generator, and a decent supply of fuel, ice occasionally takes out the lines, and you can wind up spending a week or more with no power.
MarkD wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:17 pm Lest you think I joke about commuting time, I leave home in the morning at 6:10 and typically walk into my office at about 7:50. If there are delays on any of the three trains I take I'm later. Then reverse the process coming home.
I wish i had a sub 2 hour commute in by public transportation - it takes me close to that now going in by car.
We've already talked about learning to make bagels, since what they call a bagel there is basically a roll with a hole in the middle. Maybe we could sell them???

You still live on the Island? Where are you working?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Queens. :cry:

The money is good, the workspace is spotless, its just the hours suck, the commute sucks, and parking sucks. :cry:

Also, I don't want to switch jobs until after I buy a house, it looks bad on a loan application.

Yeah, no decent bread up there, but I'm buying less of the non mass market kind anyway, I don't have the time to go to a store just for bread. Honestly, a decent bakery ,probably have to setup close to Scranton to maintain business, would make a killing up there.

I want o go up to take a look at this place, but haven't had the time.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I am guessing a house with 5 fireplaces probably needs them.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 pm Queens. :cry:

The money is good, the workspace is spotless, its just the hours suck, the commute sucks, and parking sucks. :cry:

Also, I don't want to switch jobs until after I buy a house, it looks bad on a loan application.

Yeah, no decent bread up there, but I'm buying less of the non mass market kind anyway, I don't have the time to go to a store just for bread. Honestly, a decent bakery ,probably have to setup close to Scranton to maintain business, would make a killing up there.

I want o go up to take a look at this place, but haven't had the time.
Oh yeah, driving from Staten island to Queens every day must suck hard enough to keep California from falling into the Pacific.

Yaknow, you do what you have to do to make the life you want. Is PA perfect for us? No. Is it good enough? I think so. And my wife is excited about it. A happy wife is a happy life.