May Be Relocating Soon

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
blackeagle603

Re: May Be Relocating Soon

Post by blackeagle603 »

Daughter and Son-in-law bailed on SoCal last May for Salem OR. They made it through first winter dark season intact and decided to make it stick.

Still a sellers market up there, but took possession of a nice little townhouse in Dallas OR this weekend and moved themselves in yesterday. Driving around smalltown USA posting pictures to us of Mainstreet, the clocktower, looking for a DeLorean and Marty McFly..
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Funny story too:

Since I'm now working remotely from my home office, one of the first priorities was going to be getting a proper office chair. I've spent 8 hours on a folding chair, and it's not fun. At my work location I had a Herman Miller chair which was comfortable, but oy the price, so I was looking for a cheaper alternative to get after we moved. Well, when we went for the walk-thru of our new home, I looked in the storage room (mostly to make sure they hadn't left a bunch of crap for me to deal with), and lo, under the stairs was an office chair. A Herman Miller office chair. New price about $500. A little dusty, but nothing a swiffer wouldn't take care of, and it's now supporting my buttocks.

The same former owners who balked about repairing the furnace (when the inspector said it could leak carbon monoxide) left me a $500 chair.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Re: Furniture

When we moved from Fairbanks about 20 years ago, we sold most of our furniture. Moved from 1000 sf to about 2500 sf. I still remember the pain of constant furniture shopping. My wife haunted the clearance section of the local "good" furniture store. It felt like that took forever to get over.

And, argh, the Lowe's trips. Sadly, I still make them regularly. This house was built in 1922. The house itself is fairly solid, but it surely does eat supplies.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Painting every square foot of wall surface in a 2300 square foot house with 1000 square feet of finished basement takes a while. And becomes very expensive.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:05 pm No gun purchases just yet,
Dunklbergers down in Stroudsburg is expensive and goes snitching to NYPD. They're a full service outdoors store though, and have lots of stuff notably their fly selection is halfway decent.

Northeast Firearms on main street in Honesdale is also expensive, and a very small inventory on hand. I haven't been to their new store on route 6, so i can't comment.

Theres also a place on route 6 right near the lake, name escapes me, dark brown building. High end of average pricing, decent selection.

Hebelrings is supposedly one of the best gunshops in the area, but I've never been there, so can't comment.

There's a tactical store right near the tractor supply on route 6, nice clean store, but extremely limited selection when i was there and once again expensive.

You might want to see if Herbie Wilmers is still in business, in Lake Ariel - he's a kitchen table dealer, and has good pricing. The last contact information i have for him is:

125 Willow Ln
Lake Ariel, PA 18436
Phone: 570-698-9514
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt