Replacement car time again

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Rich Jordan

Replacement car time again

Post by Rich Jordan »

The 2002 Jeep Liberty I bought new is near end of its cost effective life, given that I can't do more than the lightest work and maintenance myself (HOA).

Around here, there's a shortage of recent used cars so prices are high. Nearly all the recent midsize SUVs have moved to swoopy stupid body styles with huge rear pillars and swoop-up or swoop-down rear side windows and have crap visibility. Plus they're usually even smaller than the Jeep.

New car prices are staggering... I haven't priced them in a while (16 years...) so its going to be a used vehicle. I haven't done a lot of online quality and service history checking because I still need to do some more 'sit in the vehicle' testing to make a list of acceptable models.

If I could by a 'new or near new' Ramcharger with a nice 4BT diesel or equivalent (or hell, even a modern hemi) I'd stretch the budget to buy it. Probably going to end up settling for a furrin SUV or crossover to get AWD/4WD and headroom/legroom with some cargo space within budget. Or, God forbid, a Ford or even a GM...

I was surprised that the Kia Sorento was tolerable for seating size and visibility (Hyundai Santa Fe has those crap rear pillars killing visibility). But it is tiny otherwise...

I'd like to stay under $25K, prefer 2014 or newer (or up to a few years older if there's a sterling maintenance record and lower miles). AWD/4WD desirable. SUV/Station wagon style preferred for interior stuff and dogs room. A pickup truck is a distant second choice. A sedan would be an act of desperation. A coupe... can't afford a Hellcat or Demon and it really wouldn't serve for hauling anything but ass, so sadly no go.

We've already dismissed the Subaru Outback and Forester, Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Santa Fe, because the driving position is too cramped, head, leg, or side room issues, or bad visibility from the driver's perspective. Toyota Tacoma/4-Runner is a maybe because the interior is just a little beyond 'cramped' so I could get used to it but the 4-Runner visibility depends on the model year/body.

Anyone have experience with the Ford Flex? Those from the outside look like normal rear pillars. But I haven't found one at a used car place to actually sit in yet.

Thanks
Netpackrat

Re: Replacement car time again

Post by Netpackrat »

I am pretty happy with my Ram 1500 crew cab so far. It’s too bad they won’t put the diesel that it is available with (mine is gas) into the Durango.

Edit: New price IN ALASKA last year was about 33 and a third, so you could likely find a used one down south within your budget.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
g-man

Post by g-man »

We have a Flex. Get the 3.5 ecoboost. It is a damn rocketship that will haul 6 adults, or kids in car seats, or pretty much whatever. There’s enough space behind the 3rd row for our 84lb Lab for in town trips. And enough with 3rd row stowed for 3 dogs t size country. The 3.5 non-turbo v6 is a capable motor, but the transmission programming is wonky. Visibility is great, and the driver’s seat has plenty of room (I’m 6’0” and have tons of room). Rear pillars are just as you suspect, not wonky. My wife liked the Explorer better until she drove a Flex... and when this one eventually dies we’ll replace it with a newer one.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
evan price

Post by evan price »

Good used first generation Sequoia. Roomy great visibility excellent longevity and you can get them cheap.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!