Instant Pot

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Rich Jordan

Instant Pot

Post by Rich Jordan »

No, not same day delivery from colorado

We picked up an Instant Pot cooker this past Prime Day. My wife would like to cut down on the admittedly large volume of kitchen 'stuff' we have, which includes a stove top pressure cooker, a microwave pressure cooker, a genuine Zojirushi rice cooker, and three different slow cooker/crock pots. If it works out we'll probably surplus everything but one of the smaller crock pots.

So far we cooked chicken thighs with home-made teriyaki sauce (turned out decent), some long grain rice (ok but not as good as the Zojirushi), and a chuck pot roast (quite good). To be fair the rice was stuff I purchased, vacuum sealed, and froze in 2009 that we found at the bottom of the chest freezer last week. It came out with a bit of a rubbery texture but it tasted fine. We're going to compare some more of that rice cooked in each of the cookers next weekend to see if that makes any difference.

Its interesting. We're going to do ribs in it in a few weeks, and certainly oatmeal in the winter. Anyone else use one of these and have any suggested recipes?

Thanks
g-man

Re: Instant Pot

Post by g-man »

Pulled pork: whatever boneless cut of pork you want. Optimally, salt 12-24hrs in advance (1/2tsp per lb then refrigerate). Otherwise salt at same measure right before using whatever saltless rub you want. Add 12-16oz (1 can or bottle) of Dr Pepper. Cook 45-50 minutes, shred, add bbq sauce and serve.

Chicken breasts: Salt, cumin, cilantro, medium can enchilada sauce (8+oz) (SWMBO uses green chile enchilada sauce). Cook 25 minutes for frozen solid chicken. Great last-minute recipe since the instant pot takes care of the defrost/thaw/cook all at once.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Had one for a few years. Love it for beans, making stock (turns an all day process into a few hours), chili, steel cut oats, etc.

I've found the slow cooker option to not work as well as my Crock Pot. But my IP is an older model... maybe that function has been improved.

But when it comes to pulled pork, ribs, brisket flats, etc, I prefer to go more the traditional route and use one of my smokers. That said, I did do a variation on this recipe when I was pressed for time and it was pretty damned good: https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/insta ... alua-pork/
g-man

Post by g-man »

rightisright wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:28 pm I've found the slow cooker option to not work as well as my Crock Pot. But my IP is an older model... maybe that function has been improved.

But when it comes to pulled pork, ribs, brisket flats, etc, I prefer to go more the traditional route and use one of my smokers. That said, I did do a variation on this recipe when I was pressed for time and it was pretty damned good: https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/insta ... alua-pork/
Can’t use the liner bags with IP, so long, slow-cook chili is a much easier to clean up affair in the crock pot.

Wife has done that kalua pork a couple of times, it’s awesome.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum