Ketogenic dieting

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
toad

Ketogenic dieting

Post by toad »

Well I won't be able to see my sleep studies doc until the 26th of July. So I'm trying Breathe Right strips and dieting to tie me over.
I've lost weight on the ketogenic diet before. I get very bread hungry and it was kind of monotonous.
I 'm looking for ideas, so far I'm looking at boneless chicken thighs, hamburger, bacon , salad with oil and vinegar , cheese , eggs, and maybe fish of some kind. I'm kind of burned out on tuna. Any sugestions ?
g-man

Re: Ketogenic dieting

Post by g-man »

Riced cauliflower does a good job approximating well, rice. It can also be mashed with butter as a mashed potatoes substitute, and packed in a mold and pan-fried with cheese as a grilled cheese sandwich alternative. Don’t forget pork chops and steak or roast. Sliced steak goes really well to compliment those green salads.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

What g-man said. Also, I like big ass salads with chicken or steak tips.

I decided to swear off bread quite a while back. After a while, you don't miss it or crave it. Except for the occasional good dinner roll. But I dilute that with way too much butter, and everything is OK.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Bulletproof coffee in the morning, just don't buy in to the guys cult. Salads are good for filling up. The bread hungry thing mostly goes away over time, at least the physical part of it. Mug cakes of differing varieties are easy and help when the bread craving hits. If you like ranch dressing, Ken's buttermilk ranch is 1 carb per 2 Tbsp
Keto Connect ,these two have some good recipes.
randy

Post by randy »

I loves me my bread, but am willing to look at reducing. I use tortillas in place of bread for a lot of things. Would substituting corn tortillas (assuming I can find any in white bread land) for wheat flour ones be of any value?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
g-man

Post by g-man »

Not really. Corn has more fiber, but the difference in carbs is really a wash.

Also, mixed nuts are a handy snack. Pecans are king for low-carbs, but Brazil nuts are also very good. For most nuts, you're going to need to eat in excess of two cups to get past the 30-carb / day threshold on the nuts alone, so they're fairly safe for grazing. I really need to just get a half-cup measure to sit next to the big can on my desk at work, fill it up, then only snack until that portion is gone.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cobar wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:44 pm Bulletproof coffee in the morning, just don't buy in to the guys cult.
Black rifle coffee vids on youtube are entertaining, but the product is vastly overpriced.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

I'll try to remember to get some pecans next trip. They might be good to add to a salad for crunch.
Cauliflower tends to give me a projectile bowel movement and multiple ones, sore behind and dehydration.
I'm hoping beef will come down in price after a while.
g-man

Post by g-man »

If you don't already have one, look into a sous vide cooker.(we recently bought a "Chefman Sous Vide Immersion Circulator" on Amazon). You can take CHEAP cuts of meat, slow cook them for hours/days, and then flash sear the exterior on a grill or in a cast iron pan. We did a bargain-bin chuck roast for 2 days, then seared it on cast iron. It's not prime rib, but it's pretty damn close, and WAY cheaper.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Do you do anything to tenderize the cheap meat or just let the slow cooking do it.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.