SAFE! Or, qualified for retirement

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Mike OTDP

SAFE! Or, qualified for retirement

Post by Mike OTDP »

Thought I'd post a bit of good news. As of last week, I'm eligible for retirement from the Federal Government with an immediate pension. Not that I'm bailing just yet, but I can...which makes a difference. I'm not sure whether to stay with the Feds and boost my pension to the maximum, or turn my coat and go contractor. The latter could be very lucrative, considering that the MQ-25 source selection will take place around the end of the year - and that whoever wins will have zero heavy UAV expertise on the East Coast.
g-man

Re: SAFE! Or, qualified for retirement

Post by g-man »

If there's a reasonable expectation to make as much or more on the outside, it takes a LONG time for any increase in pension to catch up to the immediate increase in other pay + lower pension. For example, at standard market rates, working an extra year (and for the .mil that means an extra 2.5% in pension), it takes 10 years before the differential in pension catches up with what amounts to a lump-sum in that year. Holding out another year gets more retirement, but at a bigger loss of the increased income.

In either case, congratulations.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Jered

Re: SAFE! Or, qualified for retirement

Post by Jered »

I've still got like 16 years to reach that point.

:/
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.