I regret to inform you that you were not selected for LTC by the promotion board...

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Jered

Re: I regret to inform you that you were not selected for LTC by the promotion board...

Post by Jered »

g-man wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:35 am But FAR too many times I’ve seen room-temperature IQ mouth breathers not get fired over a complete inability to do the job because they could just wait for this rotation of leadership to move on. I don’t mean simply sub-par employees... we’re talking full-on oxygen thieves.
There's a shitload of systemic rot in the federal government, though.

I haven't quite seen anyone that bad unless you're talking about IT office gnomes in DC somewhere.

Take a look at this. There's multiple people that have to sign off on travel.

Then there's this gem:
For example, according to one officer, it took up to 30 minutes per
flight to perform research and analysis of passengers for high-volume flights, as
compared to 5 minutes per flight in the legacy mainframe TECS Portal
It's from a DHS OIG report.

And this.
CBP administered polygraph examinations to applicants who
previously provided disqualifying information on employment
documents or during the pre-test interview. This occurred
because CBP’s process did not stop, and is not sufficient to
prevent, unsuitable applicants from continuing through the
polygraph examination. As a result, we estimated that
between fiscal years 2013 and 2016 CBP spent about $5.1
million completing more than 2,300 polygraphs for
applicants with significant pre-test admissions of
wrongdoing
You can probably find a lot of stuff like that in just about any OIG website.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
g-man

Re: I regret to inform you that you were not selected for LTC by the promotion board...

Post by g-man »

And people wonder why those of us with anything resembling a clue want the government involved in exactly as FEW things as possible?!? The crazy thing about travel rechecks and verification is that it was just cheaper to fund the fraud, waste, and abuse. When DTS was originally stood up, on of the AF finance officers I had to go see while outprocessing WPAFB mentioned that he had gotten sucked into the team building requirements for it. Initial estimates were that FWA comprised an additional ~30% above legitimate travel costs (TDY stuff, not including the massive PCS travel budget, which DTS doesn’t affect). The first hack at the estimates for building, maintaining, and administrating the system were around the 100% mark, which included and accounted for the reduction in FWA from 30% to 10%.

Instead of spending a little more money in the form of extra hours for better follow-up checks using the existing system, we get the leviathan that is DTS. Making it a colossal pain in the ass to travel probably does reduce frivolous shit. But it didn’t eliminate the FWA, and still costs us payroll for all the hours middle-managers, clerks, and end-users have to waste on it.

At this point, it’s kinda nice to have a known end date. Ugh.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Jered

Post by Jered »

I work for the government. If someone says, "There ought to be a law," my reaction is, "WTF are you smoking?"

Seriously.

Why do you want the federal government involved in that stuff at all?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.