It's Baaaaack

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Rumpshot

It's Baaaaack

Post by Rumpshot »

I posted this on FB last night:

This should be short, we will see.

I have throat cancer. It was first diagnosed a little over three years ago. I had surgery. 6-8 months later it was back. I had radiation. 6 months later it was back. I had chemotherapy. 6 months later, back again.

The surgery left nearly invisible scars, lack of saliva, loss of taste sensation, a tight neck that doesn't allow me to lift my head a normal amount and tight muscles and loss of sensation in my shoulders.

The radiation left scarring in my throat, difficulty swallowing, thyroid damage, less saliva, loss of most of my taste buds, and a great Halloween mask. Did I mention 55 pounds of weight loss (I really did need that part.), a second "belly button" where I fed myself through a stomach tube.

The chemo made a mess of what was left of my taste buds, I was marginally nauseous part of the time. After the treatments were over, I had/have neuropathy in my feet and fingertips. I feel like I am walking on pea gravel that is very hot and have a sheet of paper stuck to my foot at the same time. My fingertips have lost dexterity and I cannot properly sense holding a glass or similar object and may drop it. Did I mention I lost my hair?

Now the cancer has come back with a vengeance. It is on my epiglottis. The epiglottis is the "valve" in your throat that separates the air and the food/liquid. Not a good place to have a problem. (I get to see my epiglottis and vocal cords on camera on many of my Dr. visits.)

I have elected to have a total laryngectomy. The surgery will take place at the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix on 16 January 2018. For a period of time, I will not be able to speak. There are several options concerning speech after a laryngectomy, we have not explored them yet. When I am cognizant, I will be able to text and email.

I am not seeking sympathy. I am fighting the cancer as best I can. This route is the best option available. I have one of the premier surgeons in the field. I have one of the very best hospitals available. I would appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Kathi and I would like to wish each and every one of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Our kids and grandkids will be here this week for Christmas, we are looking forward to it.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rod

Re: It's Baaaaack

Post by Rod »

My response is on FB so I won't get all weepy here. I will repeat, if there's anything in our power that Rudy and I can do for you and Kathi, let us know.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Prayers sent, keep fighting.
randy

Post by randy »

What the others said. Keep in touch and let us know if we can help.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Dana, you know how we feel after having spoken by phone recently. Unfortunately, we won't be able to be of assistance for a while, however, you and Kathi are in our thoughts and prayers, and we'll be sending well wishes for a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year your way too. We'll start our surgery-specific prayers on the 15th and continue on through the 16th, as well as recovery prayers afterwards.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Prayers sent. Not sure what else to say, but I'll keep you in my prayers.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
toad

Post by toad »

Prayers sent.
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Hoping only the best for you all. Regards...
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.