My mother's hand-made stone jewelry store (cleared by CC)

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
JustinR

My mother's hand-made stone jewelry store (cleared by CC)

Post by JustinR »

Over the last few years, as my mother has winded down her teaching of private music lessons and youth choirs, due to her health and the politics, her and my father have become quite the rock hounds. At the Crater Lake Rock Museum, my mother has learned to cut and polish stones into cabs, and has taken to making wire-wrapped jewelry with them. The last time I was home for a visit, I was able to help them with the intricacies of digital image processing and starting an Etsy store so she can sell her jewelry online.

The link is http://www.etsy.com/shop/ALurringJewels

She only has a fraction of her inventory listed in order to gauge interest, since each listing costs a fee to post. She is posting several new listings each week in an attempt to be listed on the front page of Etsy. If you're in the market for some unique jewelry, or know someone that is, we would appreciate a look-see and feedback. She is also getting ready to post some of her fishing lure earrings she makes, which tend to be a big hit. If you like what you see, social media shares would be really appreciated. Thank y'all!
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Termite

Re: My mother's hand-made stone jewelry store (cleared by CC)

Post by Termite »

Justin,

If you think your mother would be interested in limited wholesaling for a retail showroom presence, drop me an email.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

One suggestion. Put an object of known size (or even a ruler) in each picture, so that a purchaser can know the size of what they are buying. The only time I have ever tried buying a piece of jewelry for my wife online, the size was NOT at all what I was expecting.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Netpackrat wrote:One suggestion. Put an object of known size (or even a ruler) in each picture, so that a purchaser can know the size of what they are buying. The only time I have ever tried buying a piece of jewelry for my wife online, the size was NOT at all what I was expecting.
That is a great idea. Even though she has the dimensions listed in the description, people will read over them without paying attention to them.
I've done that and ended up with a 2 inch toy 1903 Springfield rifle when I thought I was getting a child sized toy rifle.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I had actually considered the size/measurement issue, as I've seen items on eBay with no visual reference and no measurements, and with us shooting pictures against a non-discript background for lighting purposes, I knew it might be an issue. We tried to find an object of known size we could include that wasn't visually distracting, and my mother didn't like any of them, so I made sure she listed the actual height and width in the descriptions at the very least. I might see if I can find one of those crime scene L-shape rulers that we could put on the edge of the frame, or at least have her take one of the photos flat with it included.

Termite: I'll PM you a bit later today.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

Termite

Post by Termite »

JustinR wrote:Termite: I'll PM you a bit later today.
I would be happy to put you & your mother in touch with the friend who owns the showroom. I am going to ask her if she is interested(and knowing her, she likely will be) in your mother's art/jewelry, and give her the website link.

BTW, actual PMs don't work here, IIRC; you must use email. If you include your actual email address in the letter body, I'll respond directly.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Ahh. Email sent.