Kroger WTF?

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Aesop

Re: Kroger WTF?

Post by Aesop »

Hence the rise of self-service check-out (which I nonetheless despise, since I'm not paid to work for the grocery store. Offer me a 5% discount for using it, and we can talk.).
The machines don't have a union.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Jered

Post by Jered »

Aesop wrote:Hence the rise of self-service check-out (which I nonetheless despise, since I'm not paid to work for the grocery store. Offer me a 5% discount for using it, and we can talk.).
I know. I hate grocery shopping, and the grocery stores seem to make it harder to take my money. They are there to take my money, and I despise those damn machines. :roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Baja boy

Post by Baja boy »

Aesop wrote:Hence the rise of self-service check-out (which I nonetheless despise, since I'm not paid to work for the grocery store. Offer me a 5% discount for using it, and we can talk.).
I shop at Kroger here for most of our regular food items. Big stuff, I go to Costco. I also use the self service so I don't get anything bagged on top of soft items(bread) ? Ice cream in with produce or canned goods?
My first job away from home was bagging at Lucky Markets . I had a manager that was a tyrant and taught all us kids the proper way to bag or else. $.77/hour !
B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
Liberals: all about choice UNTIL you choose differently than them.
Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
Termite

Post by Termite »

evan price wrote:Because terminations require a clear chain of events. Kroger is unionized (UFCW). In order to have a termination upheld by the bargaining unit, you need to follow the steps to ensure a termination sticks, and the unemployment is not granted.
Louisiana is right-to-work. So is Texas, IIRC.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Termite wrote:
evan price wrote:Because terminations require a clear chain of events. Kroger is unionized (UFCW). In order to have a termination upheld by the bargaining unit, you need to follow the steps to ensure a termination sticks, and the unemployment is not granted.
Right to work doesn't mean they can run the union out of stores, especially given that Kroger is a multi-state chain. (We have them here in VA as well.) I'm going to guess that Kroger writ large is unionized.

What right-to-work means is that when I'm hired, I can tell the union to go piss up a rope, I'd rather keep my entire paycheck, what of it the Taxman doesn't abscond with.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Langenator wrote:
Termite wrote:
Right to work doesn't mean they can run the union out of stores, especially given that Kroger is a multi-state chain. (We have them here in VA as well.) I'm going to guess that Kroger writ large is unionized.

What right-to-work means is that when I'm hired, I can tell the union to go piss up a rope, I'd rather keep my entire paycheck, what of it the Taxman doesn't abscond with.
That was my plan when working for Kroger while in high school in NW Louisiana. However, my mother, who was also a Kroger employee, UFCW member, and some sort of union rep informed me I was joining. She did offer to cover my union dues, though. :lol:

Working for a unionized grocery store did have some advantages over working for the non-unionized ones. Kroger couldn't make baggers and checkers clock out and sit in the break room unpaid while business was slow. (My friends who worked at Brookshires had this done to them often.) We had to be scheduled in at least four hour shifts and we didn't work split shifts. As a high school student, I couldn't be scheduled to work past 10 PM on a school night.
BDK

Post by BDK »

The 10PM on a school night was probably a state/federal law.

"Clock out but stay here" is BS. If I tell an employee to stay put somewhere I can't imagine not paying him. (Doing what you're told=being paid, if you aren't generating revenue, while doing it, it's a management issue.)

With that said, my favorite "luxury" is sending someone else to the store to buy my groceries...

Up there with custom clothing. (I think many folks have their priorities wrong - I'd rather spend money avoiding things I dislike than buy a nicer car/etc.)
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Truth. That tactic only works on the young, the dumb, or the desperate (some overlap possible). Makes me wonder if it isn't a violation of some labor law, as well.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

BDK wrote:The 10PM on a school night was probably a state/federal law.

"Clock out but stay here" is BS. If I tell an employee to stay put somewhere I can't imagine not paying him. (Doing what you're told=being paid, if you aren't generating revenue, while doing it, it's a management issue.)
Not totally sure the latter is legal, either, but it's definitely chickenshit.

Edit: They can certainly schedule you for split shifts, but if they tell you to just clock out and hang out in the break room, if you wanted to push the issue you could just leave. If they try to fire you for not being available when they decide they have work again, it seems that would make a dandy complaint with the DOL.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

BDK wrote:
Up there with custom clothing. (I think many folks have their priorities wrong - I'd rather spend money avoiding things I dislike than buy a nicer car/etc.)
Right there with you.

I was always under the impression you could still be sued in a right-to-work state, because of Federal laws. So you still need to cya in any termination scenario.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr