Best "drives"

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
sam

Re: Best "drives"

Post by sam »

Outside CONUS:

Alaska: Parks Highway between Anchorage and Fairbanks. Best in the late spring. Otherwise, take the train.

Hawaii: East on the King Kamehameha Highway from Haleiwa all the way back to Honolulu. Turtle Bay is worth a look. Later, I recommend you stop at the Crouching Lion for a drink or meal. Avoid the the Polynesian Culture center, unless you like tourist traps.

Once you hit the lee side, your choice of Interstate H3, or other routes, through or around the mountains, back to Honolulu. Yes, HI has Interstates. Wonder what state they connect to?
Last edited by sam on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Highway 93 and SR75 from Jerome/Twin Falls, Idaho through Hailey and Ketchum and up to Stanley is absolutely beautiful. Wonderful scenery, and you end up in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere, one of my favorite places to camp and fish growing up.

I'm also partial to the view as you drop into Camas county from the south, I haven't had a time of year that the view of the prairie there didn't just speak to me.

I'll have to get my atlas so I can properly detail some of my favorites from around here. I know the drive so well, I forget what the highways are.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The McCarthy Road. Just don't plan on taking the sports car.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Blue Ridge Parkway.

Needles Hwy in South Dakota.

Both better on a Harley.
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The Delaware Gap - either Rte 209 on the PA side, or Rte 615 on the NJ side.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt