Fishing with a Baitcasting Rig

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
HTRN

Re: Fishing with a Baitcasting Rig

Post by HTRN »

Sorry, but I ain't touching pickled fish.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Erik

Post by Erik »

HTRN wrote:Sorry, but I ain't touching pickled fish.

HTRN
How about fermented?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming
Surströmming ("soured (Baltic) herring") is a northern Swedish dish consisting of fermented Baltic herring. Surströmming is sold in cans, which often bulge during shipping and storage. With other kinds of canned goods, this is usually an indication that the contents have spoiled and are not safe to eat[1]. When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odor, which explains why the dish is often eaten outdoors.
It's not just food, it's an experience for life 8-)
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Erik, In Israel hotel breakfasts are smörgåsbord style and herring, usually three of four different styles/varieties are served...

A favourite lunch of my fathers was a Shepherd's salad--lettuce, cottage cheese, sour cream, very sweet red onions and green onions (shallots) in a bowl with toasted buttered rye bread and herring, either roll ups or in wine sauce...

We all eat it here and there are two local companies, we prefer Elman's (good friend of my fathers) that makes them and we go through one of their large jars a month, (a gallon (3.85L) I believe is the size) of their in wine sauce...
Last edited by SeekHer on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

CByrneIV wrote:You haven't really died, until you've experienced shark, or skate, or herring, pickled in lye.

I imagine in Scandanavian hell, they feed you nothing but lutefisk, hakarl, surstromming, and whatever the hell it is the lcelanders call that horrible pickled skate dish.
I tried the shark fin and I'm sorry but I can't get acquired to that taste...

Newfoundland has their famous salt cod but they also do a cod or a halibut (can't remember) Norse style that's slightly better then the shark but only by a smidgen...

I can see why the Norse would want to go á Viking--to eat some good food for a change!
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Erik

Post by Erik »

There's not so much different herring here at ordinary meals, but at the christmas smorgasbord there are generally a good variety of different herring. I once was at a place that had well over 20 different types of pickled herring...

But the fermented herring I haven't heard of anywhere else. It's not something you'd place at a smorgasbord, people will smell it two or three doors down. I've even seen it used to bait for foxes, they will smell it for a mile or more.
I know some people that try to "share the experience" with foreigners on a visit by asking them "hey, can you open that can for me?". Not a very plesent introduction to the local cuisine...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Erik wrote:It's not just food, it's an experience for life 8-)
So's electroshock therapy. :mrgreen:

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
merll2005

Post by merll2005 »

CByrneIV wrote:You haven't really died, until you've experienced shark, or skate, or herring, pickled in lye.
Was that intentional or not? If not I think the typo makes the statement more accurate. Seriously that stuff isn't food.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I start a thread on fishing gear and we end up discussing lutefisk. My grandmother made the stuff, but I've never tried it. Something about the lye.....

Now fiskeboller I love, and I suspect I'd like it's next-of-kin, fish pudding.....
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:
MarkD wrote:Interesting, but IMHO not all that useful. In surf fishing the hot spot is the point just beyond where the waves are breaking, anything beyond that is just showing off. Maybe some beaches are shallow enough that the waves break 100+ yard out, but I've never fished there.
Down off the barrier islands(Lakewood, etc) it comes in handy as the sandbar extends a fair bit. As for the reels, Spinning reels tend to be the most common, with the notable exception of trolling rods, then you tend to see largebaitcasting reels. Tuna rods tend to be that kind, with the Penn Internationals at the high end(although there are some Japanese competition at this price range), with the Penn Senators being the more affordable alternative(I still need a 114 for my 80lb Ugly stick)

Penn used to be the goto name in reels - but the new spinning reels are made in China(I'm not going to pay "Made in USA" prices for a "Made in China" product!). At this point, I'm looking at the bigger Shimano Stradics(Either St5000 or the 6000)

HTRN
I always have a lot of fun reeling in fish from the surf (casting right beyond where the waves break), while the guy next to me is casting a country mile and can't understand why he's not catching fish, after all the bigger fish MUST be in the deeper water, right? Wrong! Big fish will come right up next to the beach to get the bait fish that get battered around in the surf.

I remember when Penn was the first name in reels. I still have a Mitchell level-wind reel at home that was one of the first ones with plastic (delrin, IIRC) side plates. Never saw much use since I don't fish off boats often and I prefer a spinner for surf fishing. I have a couple of Daiwas I use for that. The newer one was one I bought for my Dad for Father's Day about 25 years ago.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Having spent lots of time in Minnesota with BP rendezvous, I came across "luftfisk" upon numerous occasions and didn't mind it and I imagine a steady diet could become tolerable...

I don't believe I've ever had Fiskeboiler, at least by that name could you describe them?
They did up a piece of cod to taste exactly like Lobster Tail using some combo of spices and that was quite nice…I’ve had it a few times and there must be a different species of lobster that far up because it never tasted like any from down here,,