Brag about your kids here!

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Greg

Re: Brag about your kids here!

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:Image

There's probably a box around here somewhere, with a picture of me as a baby in the same truck. He really likes to ride in his grandma and grandpa's truck.
Oh my goodness what a cutie. He's beautiful.

Don't let him near the keys. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

So far the daughter (our first) has managed to moon the sonogram.

Not sure if she's taking after mom or dad... 8-)
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

When The Darlin' Daughter graduated from high school, I tried to get her to go to college. She refused, saying that she didn't know what she wanted to study. Just a few days ago, I watched a Metallurgical Engineering PhD. come to her with a question about the properties of a certain alloy that we've recently started to run, and was absolutely dazzled as she explained, in great detail, why it needed X amount of Y material, combined with Z1 and Z2, to get the tensile strength the customer required. He listened as she explained, then said "Oh, okay, as long as somebody understands, I guess we're okay."

This from a high school graduate who is a self-taught metallurgist. Impressed me no end, it did!

The Bouncing Baby Boy did eight years in the Army, including a tour of Kosovo, and three tours in Iraq. He's now working for the VA, because, as he puts it, "I don't want to see anybody get fucked around the way I did." (He owns a Bassett hound that is a fixture in PTS counseling sessions, because people tend to stay calmer if she's around, and he apparently figured this out on his own, although he claims that it's just because she's not housebroken enough to be alone that long.)

My daughter will tell you that the only thing I brag about is my kids and grandkids (and don't get me started on them!)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

Darlin' Daughter just got picked up for the National Honor Society at her High School.

Her mom and Grandparents are WAY more enthusiastic about it than she is, which I think is good as I don't want her to get too impressed with herself.

I'm more impressed with the fact that she blew away her classmates during a class discussion about reacting to an Active Shooter by already having scoped out egress routes, likely places to fortify and hold up, and ID'ed likely objects as field expedient weapons* while most of them were still processing the concept of being attacked in school. I also get the impression that she let several of them know that if they got in the way they were likely to be left behind or treated like a threat themselves. :mrgreen:

(Her bad news/good news on this: there is one room on her class schedule that has no easy means of escape. Good news? It only has one door, and it' the chemistry lab :twisted:)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Greg wrote:Don't let him near the keys. ;)
Already on to that one. I have it on good authority that I was not much older, when I used the truck to kill a fence.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Netpackrat wrote: I have it on good authority that I was not much older, when I used the truck to kill a fence.
Junior Termite did nearly the same thing at age 2.5-3. Pulled his grandmother's car into Drive, when she stepped out to pick something up off the ground in the yard. She managed to jump back in and stop it, before the car hit the house.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:
Already on to that one. I have it on good authority that I was not much older, when I used the truck to kill a fence.
My brother and I rolled our father'S car into ditch across a four lane road, when we were both under two.. :shock:
My mom still mentions it, whenevever the subject of leaving small kids in cars comes up.. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:
My brother and I rolled our father'S car into ditch across a four lane road, when we were both under two.. :shock:
My mom still mentions it, whenevever the subject of leaving small kids in cars comes up.. :mrgreen:
Oh, something to remember... even if the little one can't get outside to mess with the car, with our modern remote entry key fobs it's very easy for him to unlock all your doors. That can get expensive.

At least twice my wife has accidentally unlocked her car and left it that way overnight. I say "at least twice" because that's how many times we've gone out to the car the next day and found evidence that someone was rummaging in the glove box. (Nosy kids... We live in a good area, nothing was taken not even the clear film canister full of quarters but YMMV.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Greg wrote:Oh, something to remember... even if the little one can't get outside to mess with the car, with our modern remote entry key fobs it's very easy for him to unlock all your doors. That can get expensive.
Oh yeah. He's already figured out he can make the lights on his mom's Commander turn on and off, and make the engine start with the buttons on the key fob. Consequently it has to be kept out of his reach.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Loves his kitty.