On the move

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Denis

Re: On the move

Post by Denis »

George guy wrote:I've been having an odd question bouncing in my head every time I hear mention of volcanoes: How good is volcanic ash for making into concrete or cement?
IIRC, the ancient Romans used to make concrete using volcanic pumice. The Pantheon is still standing...
George guy

Post by George guy »

Well then, if Yellowstone goes off, at least there'll be plenty of cheap concrete for the rebuilding effort.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Denis wrote:
George guy wrote:I've been having an odd question bouncing in my head every time I hear mention of volcanoes: How good is volcanic ash for making into concrete or cement?
IIRC, the ancient Romans used to make concrete using volcanic pumice. The Pantheon is still standing...
Yep, and not a stick of rebar anywhere in it, that we know of.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Just a quick update, I made it and am alive. Internet is limited to the Crackberry for a couple days though.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:
Concrete and cement are two seperate things.

One of the ingredients in Concrete is Portland Cement - which is made by burning and then processing limestone. The other ingredients in Concrete is agregate(IE small rocks/gravel), sand, and water. I suspect that Volcanic ash may be used as a substitute for Sand, and possibly aggregate if it can be rendered unto a suitable size.

BTW, it's called Portland cement, because the "inventor"(rediscoverer actually) noted it's resemblence to portland stone.

Concrete, along with Oil and Steel form the triangle of the modern infrastructure of Western Civilization.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt