JK gets a pickup truck

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
JKosprey

JK gets a pickup truck

Post by JKosprey »

I'd had enough of my Jeep Cherokee, and decided that it was time to learn a stick shift, so a few days ago I picked up a 2002 Ford Ranger. It's red, not my favorite color, but it does look pretty. No camera at the moment. I've had it since Teusday, and though I still find myself stalling out or bucking at the occasional light, I'm getting used to it very quickly. It's alot more fun to drive, most of the time. Traffic sucks.

I picked it up for 4800, and I'm not looking to put a whole lot of money into it, but I do need a bedliner, a new latch for the tailgate, a toolbox, and possibly a removable cover of some sort. And of course, a truck gun. I don't think anything I have fits the bill. The .22's arent enough gun, the two shotguns are far too long, most of the rifles are scoped hunting rifles, the AR is too expensive, and I think a full-powered military surpluss cartridge like the K31 would be too powerful for the amount of room here in the NY suburbs. I'm thinkin an SKS, a lever action, or a folding kel-tech of either the SU-16 or SUB-2000 variety. Maybe a stoeger coach gun. I'd prefer something that can be quickly loaded, so preferably magazine or stripper clip fed. That way I can be within the law, and still have quick access.

With the extended cab, I think the toolbox would be the best place to keep it. Because the gun wouldnt be hidden behind the seat in an extended cab I'd worry about theft.

Any thoughts and tips on making a manual a smoother ride? I know the truck gun discussion has been beaten to death here but if anybody wants to jump in again I certainly wouldnt mind.
merll2005

Re: JK gets a pickup truck

Post by merll2005 »

If you have the rear bench rather than the jump seats, would the gun fit under the back seat? The Kel-Tech SUB-2000 would probably fit under the front seat(s) unless they are power.

After seeing the bed in the Nissan my father had a few years ago I would opt for a spray-in bedliner. And get a toolbox with lights.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Remember to conserve your energy, keep the wheels rolling unless you have to come to a dead stop. Don't ride the clutch. Unless you are shifting gears or have a need to disengage the drive train keep the left foot on the floor, not the pedal. I shifted my late S-10 from first to third then to fifth for highway use, Some will disagree on that but it had the original clutch at 180 k miles, the rear end grenaded is what killed it. Don't over rev in the low gears, when you lift the accelerator it will buck.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

I've seen gun racks that bolt to the ceiling of the cab; perhaps something like that would work?
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

The K-31 would be an ok truck gun. Do you want a shotgun or a rifle is the real question.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Chris, Fivetoes, thanks for the driving advice! I managed the 1-3-5 switch pretty smoothly, and was able to start in 2nd a few times, but I'll need more practice before I get the RPM's right to make that smooth. I think I'm going to need alot more practice before I'm synching revs and double clutching, but it definately looks like a good skill to learn.

As far as the truck gun, I'll probably use the K31 for now. I have no toolbox yet, and the back seats are jump seats. It should fit alright underneath them though and be pretty much invisible. I worry that it's "too much gun" for this area, I go through both very populated areas and places where there is nobody around on a fairly regular basis. I guess thinking about it the shotgun makes a little more sense then. Which means I need another one, of course.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

something, i do to get use to a clutch in a new vehicle it put it in first, let off the brake and slowly release the clutch, do it on a slight incline and learn to hold the vehicle with out the brake, that way you dont roll back into the vehicle behind you if you have to stop on a hill. Also learn to get the vehicle rolling without using the gas in first gear so you can go 1st to second with out pressing the throttle
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
Precision

Post by Precision »

the others have said what needs to be said about clutch driving. Now its just practice, practice, practice.

As for the truck gun, mine is a Mosin M-44 with the bayonet removed. Damn thing gets caught up too easy. I will be storing mine in a behind the seats scabbard once that gets finished.

Whats not to like, works as a rifle, flame thrower, battering ram and it cost $89 IIRC.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Ive gotten the hang of it pretty well at this point, but I'm still trying to decide if I actually favor a clutch over an automatic. It really can be a pain in the ass. I used a paint on rustoleum bedliner that worked pretty well, but I need to replace the nuts in the tailgate before I can finish it, they're stripped and loose and not allowing the handle to do its work, so I have the backplate off to use the wires to get it down.

Still waiting on a toolbox, but I think that will be my next purchase over 100 bucks. It's probably the best place I have to stash a truck gun, as the backseat area where the jump seats are is very cluttered with supplies and equipment I use daily. I carry an overnight bag, blanket and pillow for overnight shifts, a medical response bag, and a mini-bugout bag. Plus I have a emergency road kit and spare fluids.

Truck gun is looking more and more like an old beater shotgun, or a newer coach gun. I saw a pretty nice old "Western Arms" SxS 12 for under 200 bucks the other day. If I hadnt just grabbed a .22 mag and started reloading I might have taken it home.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

The TREMEC tranny Ford uses for a 5-speed has a pretty wide gear ration at the low end. 1st is geared way to low for most driving that does not involve starting at a red light pointed uphill in Oakland or San Fransisco.

Starting from a dead stop at a Stop sign, you should be in 2nd right about when you cross the crosswalk. For my old Ranger, and my current Mustang, I'll skip 3rd and go straight to 4th unless I'm passing on an incline. When you shift to 5th will depend on your driving habits and how many idiots are in your way.

Learning to downshift and proper engine braking techniques will take a bit of practice. Once you learn how to drive a stick you can expect a lot longer lifetime on your brake pads though. On my 99 Ranger I routinely got 40K miles on a set of front pads, and 120K on the rear shoes.

I'm thinking Coach gun.