Improvised or homemade .22 suppressors

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Spells

Improvised or homemade .22 suppressors

Post by Spells »

Where can one find accurate information about safe & effective home-built or improvised suppressors? This is a topic that seems to draw all sorts of shifty-looking info.
308Mike

Re: Improvised or homemade .22 suppressors

Post by 308Mike »

Spells wrote:Where can one find accurate information about safe & effective home-built or improvised suppressors? This is a topic that seems to draw all sorts of shifty-looking info.
Perhaps because most people prefer to stay out of jail? Most people looking to do so seriously go through the proper federal agencies to get the required permits before monkeying around. It's SO MUCH better than winding up in the federal gray-bar hotel.

Other than that, most would say the library or check the Internet. Asking on this site is the WRONG place to do so.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Spells

Post by Spells »

I'm assuming this is to head off any stupid follow-up questions? I am asking for information about information, which seems unlikely to be in violation of any law (I know very little about this topic so correct me if I'm wrong). If it's a violation of the spirit of the Terms of Service, I'll certainly comply with that. I understand nobody needs the headaches.

Edit: just saw Mike's reply. Got it.
eocoolj

Post by eocoolj »

Chris, wouldnt that make the authors of all those silencer and machine gun books guilty of felonies? Does someone actually have to follow through with making the illegal part for it to be a felony, or just the act of telling him how to do it is illegal?
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

It depends on whether you are merely conveying information, or inciting a criminal act -- it requires intent. EG, say you have an engineering course on controlling super-sonic gases being vented into the atmosphere -- this would correlate to many things, including suppressors, and car exhausts.

Teaching a course called "This is how to build a suppressor and you should use a suppressor, since it will make you a better hitman" is an illegal act.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

I make some pretty good suppressors ( modest, aint I ? :D ) and I have never used or needed a specific book to help me.
It's fairly basic and obvious stuff, especially for .22lr where you don't have to worry about material strength.

The only real difficulties in suppressor design, in my opinion, would be with those intended for military full auto applications. All kinds of new factors come into play then, ones which are definitely out of my range of direct experience.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Spells, I think what you want to post is this:
What are the local, state, and federal requirements I need so that I can legally make a sound suppressor from scratch?
After complying with those legal local, state, and federal regulations, your post would look like this:
I now have complied with all local, state, and federal requirements, and am licensed to make a sound suppressor from scratch. Can someone PM me links to some relevant literature?
I hope that helps...
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Chris, then if I told him to check Paladin Press or companies like that is that a criminal act?

I have seen many times various book companies having books on Guerrilla Gunsmithing--you know the kind where you can convert a 10/22 or an AR-7 to full auto or build a silencer--they all have in big type "Available for research purposes only" even though the books or now DVDs show you step by step how to construct it. How do the printer, the distributor, the retailer and the buyer not get arrested?
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

IIRC Paladin Press got in some trouble after some idiot read their "How to be a Hitman" book and offed his wife. They might've just pulled publication of the book, though. In any case, just having the information could well be taken as intent to commit a crime, since just building one is a crime all by itself.

I'm kinda curious about the legal process/requirements for their construction, but it's pretty much academic since you can't mount them on anything in this state.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

SeekHer wrote:
I have seen many times various book companies having books on Guerrilla Gunsmithing--you know the kind
I think I own nearly all of those various kinds of title ( in electronic format )
I'm very cynical about the quality of the information in them. A lot of stuff they describe either won't work at all in the real world, won't work reliably or creates a weapon which is horribly unsafe to the user and anyone around him.
The Poor Mans James Bond series are probably the worst and not worth the space they occupy.
The exception are the Bill Holmes books, he builds real guns and understands how they work.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song