new shooter question

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
AndytheAxe
Case Shiner

new shooter question

Postby AndytheAxe » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:35 am

I've started teaching a friend how to shoot, She's a lefty but right eyed. I am too but I learned to shoot right-handed because my dad's right handed. She was wondering if there's a way to shoot a pistol left handed with her right eye. She's not accustomed to .38 or .45 yet though the Remington 1911 was her second favorite gun to shoot. So assuming guns that don't kick so much like .22 revolver or '03 pocket hammerless, is there a way she could do it? And when she does get comfortable, is there a way she could do it with the more middle power rounds?

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 0_2766.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 1_3002.jpg

That's her with her fave gun to shoot, my savage .22 and before anyone asks, she has a boyfriend.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)

Erik
Active Shooter

Re: new shooter question

Postby Erik » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:09 am

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I just shoot that way, and so far it works well for me.

When I took my first shooting lesson, I was taught to shoot two handed, and just tilt the gun left, so the sights would be in line with the left eye.
When I started target shooting here, with one hand, I started trying to close my left eye, and use my right eye, and that worked ok until we started doing duel shooting where I only had 3 seconds to aim and fire. After a while, I just decided to aim with the left eye, and tilt my head a little to help with alignment, and I have been doing it that way since.

I've done it this way with .22, .45ACP and .44Mag, and allthough I'm no expert, I dont feel there's much problem doing it that way. Once I decided to do it that way, and adjusted for it, it worked a lot better than trying to work around it by keeping one eye closed.

Maybe someone with more expertise than me can offer better suggestions, but it works for me. And I've read online that there are more than one top shots that do it that way too.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne

kparker

Postby kparker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:27 am

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I just shoot that way, and so far it works well for me.

Same here; no problems. With handguns, that is--rifles, of course, are a problem, but I just use my right eye for rifle-shooting. Apparently I'm not that strongly left-eyed as it seems to work.

SleepTech7777

Postby SleepTech7777 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:58 pm

I guess I'm weird.

I shoot long arms Left handed exclusively, left eyed.

I greatly preffer shooting hand guns right handed, right eyed.

I can shoot hand guns left handed and left eyed, but preffer the right.

I once tried to shoot a long gun right handed and my dad said I looked like a crippled cattawampus trying to screw a rabid pitbull upside down. I don't know what a cattawampus is, but I never tried it again.

For now I'll stick to Long Arms Left, Hand Guns Right.

BadgerVet
Case Shiner

Postby BadgerVet » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:40 pm

I'm right handed, left eye also.

I tilt my head slightly for the handguns, rifle I squint my left eye, shotgun I swing, follow through, and hope I get a piece of it.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:14 am

Strongly right handed, left eye by necessity; right eye no worky so good since birth. Shooting a bow is difficult, but so far the only problems with long guns are those that like to kick hot brass back in my face, or are more difficult to operate lefty. Pistols, I cant my head over a bit and bring the right arm over to the left a bit.

I should really just train to use my left hand for pistols. I do a bit of practice when I can make it to a range (got timed out today; 2+ hour wait for lanes...) but not consistently.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:36 am

My son is right-handed, but left-eye dominant. He shoots a rifle left-handed (well enough to graduate from the Army sniper course at Ft Benning) but shoots a pistol right-handed while aligning the sights with his left eye. It looks a little odd, but seems to work OK.

When shooting a pistol weak hand, I tilt my head a little to the right, and use my left eye to sight. Shooting a rifle right handed, I miss a lot.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Aglifter
Probably Unemployed

Postby Aglifter » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:58 am

I'm also left-eye, right handed... Er, well I'm mostly ambidexterous, but I shoot right handed. I'll try to figure out a head tilt for pistols -- for shot-guns, I've learned to just blink my left eye shut -- FYI, DO NOT teach yourself to shoot a bow left handed in this situation -- I can still revert to shutting my right eye at times.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:15 am

It seems Right Hand/Left Eye predominates... I wonder if it has to do with physiology... I instructed a few new shooters over Christmas and they were all Right/Lefts... Like me....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

Aglifter
Probably Unemployed

Postby Aglifter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:39 am

According to a complete rumor, it's due to batting right handed at a young age.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto

Ben Rumson
Trigger Junkie

Postby Ben Rumson » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:05 am

My wife went shooting with me this last Friday. During the new shooter prerange basement training course I offer to all new shooting wives, I discovered that she was left eye dominant. So shes a right/left as well.

Dub_James
Active Shooter

Postby Dub_James » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:04 am

Aglifter wrote:According to a complete rumor, it's due to batting right handed at a young age.

Definitely rumor. I've never batted in my life. Right hand/Left eyed also. I have an issue with my right eye that doesn't allow full range of movement and causes a slight head tilt.
Last edited by Dub_James on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult

Whirlibird
Trigger Junkie

Postby Whirlibird » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:42 am

Sometimes the easy solution eludes us.

Cross Dominant

AndytheAxe
Case Shiner

Postby AndytheAxe » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:00 am

It does look more common than I'd thought. She's glad to see she doesn't have to do anything weird.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)

Bullspit
Loose Cannon

Postby Bullspit » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:07 am

It can be done. Just tilt the head more. This works better for the pistol than the rifle but many people do it.

My wife is cross dominant also. She learned to squints a little bit to force the "correct" eye to do the work. This seems to have trained her eye over time because she doesn't seem to squint as much as she used to and is shooting faster and better than ever.

I can shoot with either eye from either side although it is easier to shoot right handed with the right eye.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen

curtiskacin
Case Shiner

Postby curtiskacin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:23 am

pistols: left hand, left eye. rifle: right handed, right eye. I have no advice. I don't even understand what I am doing. :lol:
We don't make the problem. We use the problem.

If the battle for civilization comes down to the wimps versus the barbarians, the barbarians are going to win. Thomas Sowell

Return to “Beginners Luck”