Gift suggestion (.38/.357 carry revolver)

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Netpackrat

Re: Gift suggestion (.38/.357 carry revolver)

Post by Netpackrat »

Best thing is to let her pick out the one that she wants. I bought my wife a .38 revolver shortly after we got married, and it turned out she liked one of my auto pistols better.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Netpackrat wrote:Best thing is to let her pick out the one that she wants. I bought my wife a .38 revolver shortly after we got married, and it turned out she liked one of my auto pistols better.
+1, 100% as it's as much how a gun feels in the hand as the name on the barrel...Line up the Ruger, Taurus, S&W and Charter Arms revolvers on the counter top and let her handle them, fit them to her hand...

A brand new Charter Arms is under $400 MSRP and they also carry woman's colours, slim down frames and grips and the .32 H&R magnum cartridge as well as the .327 Federal, even left handed models...

As to purses, my wife's can carry an M4 with stock extended and my mother-in-law’s has the kitchen sink but when carrying, they carry on person and when they go into places where there are not supposed to carry, the paddles come off and get dumped into these cavernous leather/cloth packs and get put on as soon as they step out of there. How they can find them (or anything for that matter) is what amazes me…

That is an excellent article on woman’s carry and both of their purses have these flexi steel aircraft cables woven through the straps that will prevent snatch and grab thieves from slicing through the bag... Woman normally carry these bags across the shoulder and body and wear them on the opposite hip…the punks grab the strap, slash with a knife or shears and speed away on a scooter/Vespa. They tried it on my wife in Italy this year and no one on my side was hurt (except his pride) and she will attest that the bags work as advertised. My mother-in-law had bought them before leaving home for all the female members of the family. They couldn't carry guns with them but the punk was looking at my wife holding a quick assist 4" CRKT M21 folder pointing at him along with knives in my MIL's, FIL’s and only three of the daughters (they were closest) hands and in one of my SIL as well...In his case it was fear that was the better part of valour...It's lovely being married to a Sabra who went through 2½ years of military training (as did her mother)(sometimes) and likes knives as much as I do—which is why I/we collect them!

Undercover Lite .38 Spec. – Black & Gold - 2 inch

Undercover Lite .38 Spec. – SS & Red - 2 inch

Mag Pug .357 - SS - 2.2 inch
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

+1 on carrying in a purse is not ideal -- there was an article in the Charleston, SC paper about a woman who was attacked -- the first thing the attacker did was grab her purse.

I bought mom a 642, she seems to like it, and doesn't mind the recoil, but I just give her regular 38 specials.

I carry a 3" Ruger SP101, which is a wonderful gun, and makes shooting even the heaviest 357s pretty comfortable, but it would be a bit much for most women to carry -- a lightweight snubbie or P3AT w. a clip draw can be carried by most women w. minimal changes to their wardrobe.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
GoHskrs

Post by GoHskrs »

Thanks, all. I think I'll forego the surprise factor and go shopping with her this week. I'll take a printout of the suggestions offered in this thread as my guide.

The helpfulness and varied experiences of this community never cease to amaze me ... 8^)
randy

Post by randy »

GoHskrs, I haven't seen an update, so just in case you're still in the market,

I was Olde English yesterday and the had both 4" (at $399) and a 2.5" (at $499) police trade-in Model 66s in the display counter.

I fingerprinted the 2.5" and if I had the money it would have gone home with me. I think it would make a dandy carry/car gun.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Termite

Post by Termite »

If you can find a good used Colt Detective Special for sale, grab it. It's as good as it gets in a small frame .38 snubbie.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."