Polyurethane Buffers on 10/22s. Hype or necessary accessory?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
bubblewhip

Polyurethane Buffers on 10/22s. Hype or necessary accessory?

Post by bubblewhip »

Just looking to get some Polyurethane Buffers for my 10/22. But I'm honestly wondering if this product is really necessary. People go on about how it reduces wear by allowing the bolt to not slam on a hardened steel pin.

Seriously though? 10/22s have a reputation of just running FOREVER with literally dozens of thousands of rounds with zero issues. A steel pin is worth way more than a polyurethane one, wouldn't Ruger just build them to come with it if it was worth it to them and their warranty department to do so?
Yogimus

Re: Polyurethane Buffers on 10/22s. Hype or necessary access

Post by Yogimus »

I wouldn't buy it.
Greg

Post by Greg »

There are lots of things that aren't strictly needed but exist to make people feel better.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I usually put them in 10/22s to minimize damage to the frame. Necessary? Who knows? It's not the bolt slamming in the frame that I'm worried about, it's the bolt slamming into the recoil buffer pin in the aluminum frame.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I have a couple of 10/22's. I put the poly buffer in one, then forgot to see if it made a difference. Hmph. Must get out shooting again.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Greg wrote:There are lots of things that aren't strictly needed but exist to make people [strike]feel better[/strike] spend money
FIFY
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

randy wrote:
Greg wrote:There are lots of things that aren't strictly needed but exist to make people [strike]feel better[/strike] spend money
FIFY
I actually trimmed that same thought out of my original post. Thought it was a little too cynical. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:I actually trimmed that same thought out of my original post. Thought it was a little too cynical. :lol:
Come on. You're letting me down. I thought we were developing a rhythm here. You're Ambrose Bierce, and I'm Pollyanna. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:I actually trimmed that same thought out of my original post. Thought it was a little too cynical. :lol:
Come on. You're letting me down. I thought we were developing a rhythm here. You're Ambrose Bierce, and I'm Pollyanna. ;)
Yep. That's why it was funny- the very thought of me leaving something out because it was too cynical. What was I thinking?

Anyway, peace of mind is a valuable thing as well.

bubblewhip

Post by bubblewhip »

I just ordered 3. Hey, they are made in Canada, they cost 12 bucks including shipping, and we'll see how they run.