Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
User avatar
bubblewhip
Loose Cannon
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

Postby bubblewhip » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 am

So.. I explained I wanted to improve the trigger on my 10/22 at some point. I'm honestly thinking about improving it myself by simple polishing of surfaces and not doing anything very risky or permanent like cutting off spring coils or removing tons of material. I'm thinking of polishing off where the sear surfaces interact with the trigger and the hammer. I have the following materials mostly from my knife sharpening tools.

- Spyderco Sharpmaker with 600, 1200 grit triangular ceramic stones.
- Spyderco Ultra fine 2000 grit ceramic bench stone
- Dremel tool with the polishing compound it came with it.
- Knife metal polishing compound

My question is, would just basic polishing of the engagement surfaces with 2000 grit stone be a safe intro way improving the trigger? what kind of improvement should I expect if I do this?

User avatar
Yogimus
Active Shooter
Posts: 4922
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 am
Contact:

Re: Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

Postby Yogimus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:34 am

Do you have 100 bucks to spend, in case you screw the pooch? If so, look up some youtube footage, and go to town.

User avatar
Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 6570
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:29 am

Re: Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

Postby Denis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:51 am

Unless there's a spare trigger handy, I'd start with something non-destructive. How about a tube of Flitz metal polish, some old denim cloth and a few hard rubber erasers to slice up as backing? Put a nice mirror shine on the mating parts and see how you get on. If it's too shiny and you need some friction, a bit of 600-grit wet and dry sandpaper with WD-40 will "matt" the surfaces again.

User avatar
Erik
Active Shooter
Posts: 3425
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

Postby Erik » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:56 am

What I've always been told is that you don't do any modifications on anything that is in a working gun. You buy spare parts and do modifications on them. Then if you do mess up, you put the original parts back and you have a working gun again. If you do modifications on the existing parts and need to buy new parts later, you might have to do modifications and fitting on those to make them work, so it's better to keep the ones you know work intact.

That way, your cost is the new parts you bought. If you mess up, you lost the money, if you don't mess up you have the original parts as spares for the future.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne

User avatar
bubblewhip
Loose Cannon
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

Postby bubblewhip » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am

Erik wrote:What I've always been told is that you don't do any modifications on anything that is in a working gun. You buy spare parts and do modifications on them. Then if you do mess up, you put the original parts back and you have a working gun again. If you do modifications on the existing parts and need to buy new parts later, you might have to do modifications and fitting on those to make them work, so it's better to keep the ones you know work intact.

That way, your cost is the new parts you bought. If you mess up, you lost the money, if you don't mess up you have the original parts as spares for the future.


I'll go see who sells a spare hammer, disconnector, and trigger then, unfortunately life in Canada makes that difficult.

User avatar
Erik
Active Shooter
Posts: 3425
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

Postby Erik » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 am

bubblewhip wrote:I'll go see who sells a spare hammer, disconnector, and trigger then, unfortunately life in Canada makes that difficult.

Yeah, i know what you mean. It's not that easy in Scandinavia either. Brownells are usually my first stop, they have most of what I need, and they are willing to ship here at a (somewhat) reasonable cost.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne

User avatar
Highspeed
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2718
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:44 am
Location: England

Re: Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

Postby Highspeed » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 pm

There must be a specialist in 10\22 custom work in Canada ? I can think of a couple in the even more gun unfriendly UK ( one of whom actually knows what the fuck they are doing )
They will have a crapload of standard trigger parts that they have taken out of mugs customers rifles and replaced with that stupidly expensive Volquartsen shit.
Ask if you can buy some stock parts from them.

You won't need a disconnector, BECAUSE YOU AREN'T GOING TO TOUCH THAT :D - it makes no difference to the trigger feel and nothing good can come from messing with it. If you do there is a 0.01% chance you will turn your rifle into a machinegun and a 99.99% chance it'll become a single shot.

I'd love to help you with the specifics of the trigger job, but I honestly don't know where to start, I'd have to go from first principles. I'll see if I've got any notes on specifics.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song

rightisright
Active Shooter
Posts: 4245
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

Postby rightisright » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Not sure if you can get these in Canada, but the Power Custom 10/22 hammer kit is the best ~$30 I've spent on any rimfire part. Install is easy and the difference is night and day.

User avatar
Odahi
Loose Cannon
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:21 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

Postby Odahi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:29 pm

I'd suggest http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251177
Also its related threads, there is a LOT of 10/22 knowledge and fun at Rimfire Central. Great people, with centuries of combined experience on all rimfire firearms, not just the 10/22. I have even found gobs of great advice about my Winchester bolt-action .22, if it is a rimfire, it's probably been talked about there. Good luck with your project.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.

User avatar
FastRope71
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:56 pm
Location: Taylor, TX metro Area

Re: Thinking about doing a trigger job on a 10/22

Postby FastRope71 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 pm

I have used the volquartsen hammer/bolt release kit in the past with excellent results. The power custom Odahi mentioned has a good reputation as well. You can contact Ruger directly and see what they charge for a replacement hammer and sear. I imagine they're pretty inexpensive and shouldn't cause any undue additional cost mailing it to Canada.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed


Return to “Beginners Luck”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest