Torque Divers, which one for scope mounts and rings?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
bubblewhip

Torque Divers, which one for scope mounts and rings?

Post by bubblewhip »

Tried to search up Chris' blog and the website for suggestions on Torque drivers. I'm not totally sure if this is what it is relating to because it mentions a Fatmax Toruqe driver which search results end up as impact wrenches.

I'm not familiar with the importance of inexpensive or expensive torque drivers in relation to firearms. And which scales are accurate or inaccurate. There are adjustable and non adjustable wrenches and I'm quite at a loss between the differences of an inexpensive torque driver and a $125 torque driver.
Yogimus

Re: Torque Divers, which one for scope mounts and rings?

Post by Yogimus »

Just keep crankin till the lenses crack.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I have this kit: http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Scope-Mou ... B002PQKGSI

It's served me quite well.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The Wheeler is a decent tool.

If you're looking to spend a bit more, Wiha makes a 20-70 inch pound screwdriver for around 85 dollars.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I've only ever mounted 1X red dots so you'll have to forgive my ignorance but is all this stuff really necessary with modern scopes and mounts?
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Kommander wrote:I've only ever mounted 1X red dots so you'll have to forgive my ignorance but is all this stuff really necessary with modern scopes and mounts?
Not usually ( in my opinion ) - if you are firing a calibre that has some real kick to it, or shooting at long range then it's different.

Only the more expensive scope rings will come with a recommended torque figure anyway - for all the rest you'd have to use a generic torque figure for the thread and the material. One finger pressure on a standard length hex key is near enough.

I bought my 1/4" torque driver as milsurp. Had a current calibration sticker on it and a price tag of £25 instead of the £275 which I later found out was retail price. I've only used it a handful of times.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The way I've heard to do it for thumpers:

First make sure the rings are aligned - a light lapping is a good idea.
After cleaning thoroughly, apply a coating of rosin(Midway sells smaller quantities) on the inside of the rings.
lay the scope in, set the right eye relief and square it to the gun.
Apply blue loctite(you can cheat and use clear nailpolish), and torque to value in a star pattern.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It's never a bad idea to torque fasteners to an appropriate spec. And +1 on blue Loctite for optic mounts.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

rightisright wrote:I have this kit: http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Scope-Mou ... B002PQKGSI

It's served me quite well.
That's the one I got a few months back, I've only mounted the scope on my crossbow, figuring that was a good place to start. Just watch the video a few times, take notes and you'll be fine.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.