Single, two, or 3 point slings? Differences and benefits?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Aglifter

Re: Single, two, or 3 point slings? Differences and benefits

Post by Aglifter »

To jump on the band wagon:

Normal sling: BANG! BANG! transition, bang! bang!, holster, BANG! BANG!

Single-point: BANG! BANG!, %^(^($)$#/taking a pause to shield your privates w. your leg, bang!, bang!, hunt for where the gun has shifted to, untangle, BANG! BANG!
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

You guys do realize that none of this is new? The Army has been using single point slings since ... well, here's one from the 1880s. They've been used on trapdoor Springfields and various lever carbines for years. The Saddle Ring Sling was designed not to tie the rifle to the saddle, but to tie the rifle to the rider. I use a modern variant myself for hunting with a lever carbine and find it very useful when I'm slipping through the brush on stalk hunts. They are easily made of a variety of materials. Mine is poly webbing from a big dog leash.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

This thread is number 3 in the google search results for "single point sling nut shot". I had to look for a video.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

What is is talk about a single-point sling hitting the family jewels? I have never had that problem during transitions or movment. Then again, I shoot shotgun/rifle left-handed, and pistol right-handed. Have some pretty fast and smooth transitions.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
bubblewhip

Post by bubblewhip »

Got a single point sling from 5.11, I love it. I think the problem is that a lot of people have their slings set up too low, if I tighten it up and move the gun closer to my upper body it's much less intrusive.

I asked, and a bungee on a sling is designed for guns that weight a lot i.e 10+ pounds. which if you drop the gun into transition, a bungee makes the shock of that drop a lot less. Not what I'm looking for so I went for a static single point.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I thought the three point sling was Colonel Cooper's CW sling, aka the Ching Sling.
Has anyone used that or the two point version called the Safari? That last has a split sling with a short piece linking the two together. If you put your elbow in the pocket formed by that piece supposedly you get the same benefit of slinging up without the contortions or the need to install the third sling swivel for the CW.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Denis

Post by Denis »

Windy Wilson wrote:Has anyone used that or the two point version called the Safari? That last has a split sling with a short piece linking the two together. If you put your elbow in the pocket formed by that piece supposedly you get the same benefit of slinging up without the contortions or the need to install the third sling swivel for the CW.
I have a Galco brand Safari Ching Sling on my main hunting rifle - highly recommended. It works nicely both as a carrying strap and as a very rapid sling. I have taken a lot of game with it in use as a sling from prone or sitting, and carried my rifle a long way with it as a shoulder strap. The trick is to set the length correctly at the beginning, once you have that figured out, it's dead simple. Look for demonstration videos on YouTube.

Another quick sling that gets good reviews is the Brownells Laredo sling. I haven't yet tried it, but I think NPR may have...
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

CombatController wrote:Vickers slings, full stop. I have a pretty cool 3 point with metal hardware that came with a rifle and I have no idea where it came from. That is the one AG is referring to. Other than that a two point is it. Three's often get in the way of the controls on the rifle and hang on gear but if no gear is chest mounted it works ok.

Single points are pointless and painful.

This is the current thinking among the high speed tactical crowd. The idea is that a single points, while not without some merits (switching shoulders chief among them), do not retain the rifle well enough while three points are overly complicated and do nothing that a 2 point can't do. Therefore the rapidly adjustable 2 point sling is in vogue for tactical carbine "operators" right now. The Vickersis probably the best known, and is what I have, but the VTAC and Ares Armor Huskey have their followers as well.
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

I have the Vickers JAG mentioned.. I've used it in two gun matches.. Heavy construction yet flexible, adjustable with a short pull strap and did not hinder transitions..
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

The VTAC and the Vickers are the same sling. Just a minor difference in the material of the pull tab. Probably licensed.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.