Single, two, or 3 point slings? Differences and benefits?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
bubblewhip
Loose Cannon

Single, two, or 3 point slings? Differences and benefits?

Postby bubblewhip » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:02 am

So I am looking at various sling systems for my firearm and I am relatively confused by the practical differences between single, two, and 3 point slings. From what I can tell right now these are what each can do.

Single Points:

- Attaches on one point of the gun against the body of the user
- Is the most tactical (For whatever that's worth) Magpul endorses single point slings against everything else except for large rifles
- Least comfortable
- Easiest to change to weak side transition
- Best for close quarter? (I don't know for what reason)

Two Point Slings:
- Attaches to two points of the gun as a simple strap
- most comfortable (don't understand why)
- Hangs off the neck or shoulder
- Can be used as a support for shooting

Three Point Slings:
- Military uses them and connects to the front of the gun, the rear of the gun, and the body
- Most secure sling system (difficult to get the weapon off the user)
- Most difficult to transition to weak side
- Seems to be as comfortable as a two point
- Can be used as a two point

I guess what I am most confused by is why you would use a single point sling vs a two or three point sling.

Aglifter
Probably Unemployed

Re: Single, two, or 3 point slings? Differences and benefits

Postby Aglifter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:03 pm

CC has a great sling, which he's lent me from time to time, and which I keep forgetting the name of, which has a snap release to be able to change shoulders.

I believe it is a three-point - it makes transitioning to a pistol very simple, as you let go of the rifle, and it ends up, pretty well, out of the way, while you draw/fire your pistol.

2 points are good for carrying, and wrapping up for long-distance shots.

The sling I borrow from CC converts to a single-point, once you release the snap (if I remember it, correctly), which means its easier to switch shoulders, but not as nice to transition to a pistol.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto

Yogimus
Active Shooter

Postby Yogimus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:49 pm

point and 1 point are nearly identical, the only difference being where the gun siths when you are not fondling it.

TheIrishman
Loose Cannon

Postby TheIrishman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:32 pm

The first thing you need to decide is what task you want the sling to perform. A standard 2 point sling such as the 1907 style slings used on Garands or the nylon slings found in most gun shops are used primarily for carry or support while firing a rifle. A "tactical" 2 point sling(such as the Ares Armor I picked up for my AR) is designed for carrying in a ready position. You'll note that a standard sling mounts to the bottom of the butt stock and forend, where most "tactical" slings mount to the top of the butt and side of the forend. This allows the rifle to sit flat against you while it is hanging. I have no experience with 3 point slings but really see no advantage, I did at one time use a Chalker single point sling on a shotgun. My opinion is that single point slings are ideally suited for those that never want children(or people who just enjoy getting whacked in the junk all the time). Drop the rifle to transition to pistol...Nut Shot, run with your hands full and not holding your weapon...REPEATED NUT SHOTS.
Formally the IrateIrishman

JAG2955
Active Shooter

Postby JAG2955 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:06 am

I've got a decent amount of experience with each type of sling, so I'll give my input:

Single Point: It's definitely the best for transitioning from strong side to weak side. It's also the most difficult to wear comfortably, especially over armor. Here's why I really don't like it. If you let go of it, all your rifle does is hit you in the junk and the knees. It does facilitate a quick transition to your sidearm. It also becomes heavy because you are holding all the weight of your rifle when it's in a shooting position. I've used a few different types, made by Blue Force Gear, Specter, and one or two more.

Two Point: My personal favorite, assuming it's one of the newer tactical models, and not the old fashioned carrying strap/shooting aid. The two point that I have is a Blue Force Gear Vickers Sling. I love it. It is adjustable on the fly, you can transition sides with just a bit more work, but most importantly, if you need to sling it behind you to do anything from climb over a wall to use both hands to load magazines, you can. Easy to wear over armor, bears the weight well, and it's very flexible. I will likely outfit all of my rifles with a similar sling.

Three Point: Works great for holding your rifle at the alert, but other than that, you wind up with an extra strap catching on all of your stuff. Able to sling it behind you if necessary, but a transition to weak side is very difficult. If you get one, make sure that it has a buckle up front that releases the strap from fixed to the sling swivel to being a moving glide along the strap between the two sling swivels. I think it's called a prone position buckle or whatever. Which really does what it's called, it allows you to shoot from the prone with it, and if it's loose enough, transition to your weak side. I'm not really a fan of them, as the extra strap catches on the junk on your armor all the time. The central strap can sometimes interfere with mag changes.

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:19 am

Vickers slings, full stop. I have a pretty cool 3 point with metal hardware that came with a rifle and I have no idea where it came from. That is the one AG is referring to. Other than that a two point is it. Three's often get in the way of the controls on the rifle and hang on gear but if no gear is chest mounted it works ok.

Single points are pointless and painful.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

bubblewhip
Loose Cannon

Postby bubblewhip » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Bringing this back because I'm going to buy a sling.

I'm going for a single point sling (because of the nature of the 10/22 takedown rifle)

I'm going with 5.11 Single Point.

My question is that there are 3 varieties. Static single point sling, single point sling with a bungee, and Kyle Lambs VTAC Single Point sling with options for both.

My question is, why would I want a bungee on a single point sling?

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:19 pm

I personally like the 1907, but then I was into position shooting..
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Denis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:06 am

bubblewhip wrote:My question is, why would I want a bungee on a single point sling?

So that, when your rifle has swung down and hit you in the nuts, it can bounce back and hit you in the nuts again?

Otherwise, I have no clue.

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Denis wrote:
bubblewhip wrote:My question is, why would I want a bungee on a single point sling?

So that, when your rifle has swung down and hit you in the nuts, it can bounce back and hit you in the nuts again?

Otherwise, I have no clue.

NO! It's to bounce up after hitting you in the family jewels and catch you under the jaw!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

Aglifter
Probably Unemployed

Postby Aglifter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:49 pm

To jump on the band wagon:

Normal sling: BANG! BANG! transition, bang! bang!, holster, BANG! BANG!

Single-point: BANG! BANG!, %^(^($)$#/taking a pause to shield your privates w. your leg, bang!, bang!, hunt for where the gun has shifted to, untangle, BANG! BANG!
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:51 pm

You guys do realize that none of this is new? The Army has been using single point slings since ... well, here's one from the 1880s. They've been used on trapdoor Springfields and various lever carbines for years. The Saddle Ring Sling was designed not to tie the rifle to the saddle, but to tie the rifle to the rider. I use a modern variant myself for hunting with a lever carbine and find it very useful when I'm slipping through the brush on stalk hunts. They are easily made of a variety of materials. Mine is poly webbing from a big dog leash.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

Durham68
Loose Cannon

Postby Durham68 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm

This thread is number 3 in the google search results for "single point sling nut shot". I had to look for a video.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"

TheArmsman
Case Shiner

Postby TheArmsman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:45 am

What is is talk about a single-point sling hitting the family jewels? I have never had that problem during transitions or movment. Then again, I shoot shotgun/rifle left-handed, and pistol right-handed. Have some pretty fast and smooth transitions.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.

bubblewhip
Loose Cannon

Postby bubblewhip » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:17 am

Got a single point sling from 5.11, I love it. I think the problem is that a lot of people have their slings set up too low, if I tighten it up and move the gun closer to my upper body it's much less intrusive.

I asked, and a bungee on a sling is designed for guns that weight a lot i.e 10+ pounds. which if you drop the gun into transition, a bungee makes the shock of that drop a lot less. Not what I'm looking for so I went for a static single point.

Windy Wilson
Active Shooter

Postby Windy Wilson » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:02 am

I thought the three point sling was Colonel Cooper's CW sling, aka the Ching Sling.
Has anyone used that or the two point version called the Safari? That last has a split sling with a short piece linking the two together. If you put your elbow in the pocket formed by that piece supposedly you get the same benefit of slinging up without the contortions or the need to install the third sling swivel for the CW.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy

Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Denis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 am

Windy Wilson wrote:Has anyone used that or the two point version called the Safari? That last has a split sling with a short piece linking the two together. If you put your elbow in the pocket formed by that piece supposedly you get the same benefit of slinging up without the contortions or the need to install the third sling swivel for the CW.

I have a Galco brand Safari Ching Sling on my main hunting rifle - highly recommended. It works nicely both as a carrying strap and as a very rapid sling. I have taken a lot of game with it in use as a sling from prone or sitting, and carried my rifle a long way with it as a shoulder strap. The trick is to set the length correctly at the beginning, once you have that figured out, it's dead simple. Look for demonstration videos on YouTube.

Another quick sling that gets good reviews is the Brownells Laredo sling. I haven't yet tried it, but I think NPR may have...

Kommander
Active Shooter

Postby Kommander » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:25 am

CombatController wrote:Vickers slings, full stop. I have a pretty cool 3 point with metal hardware that came with a rifle and I have no idea where it came from. That is the one AG is referring to. Other than that a two point is it. Three's often get in the way of the controls on the rifle and hang on gear but if no gear is chest mounted it works ok.

Single points are pointless and painful.

This is the current thinking among the high speed tactical crowd. The idea is that a single points, while not without some merits (switching shoulders chief among them), do not retain the rifle well enough while three points are overly complicated and do nothing that a 2 point can't do. Therefore the rapidly adjustable 2 point sling is in vogue for tactical carbine "operators" right now. The Vickersis probably the best known, and is what I have, but the VTAC and Ares Armor Huskey have their followers as well.

Ben Rumson
Trigger Junkie

Postby Ben Rumson » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:44 am

I have the Vickers JAG mentioned.. I've used it in two gun matches.. Heavy construction yet flexible, adjustable with a short pull strap and did not hinder transitions..

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:31 am

The VTAC and the Vickers are the same sling. Just a minor difference in the material of the pull tab. Probably licensed.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Windy Wilson wrote:I thought the three point sling was Colonel Cooper's CW sling, aka the Ching Sling.

The CW sling and the Ching sling are two different things. The CW sling is just a regular two point sling, but the rifle has the third point in the middle. You have to unhook the rear point and attach to the middle point in order to loop up for use as a shooting sling. Eric Ching came up with his sling in order to avoid the need for unhooking and moving the rear sling attachment.

I personally like the Brownell's Latigo Sling. It has quick adjustment, and you can loop up for use as a shooting sling. As seen on my .308 Saiga:

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 pm

That reminds me, I need to get one of those cheek risers...

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:51 pm

CombatController wrote:That reminds me, I need to get one of those cheek risers...

FYI, it won't fit the Wolverine stock I made for you. The Werewolf has special mounts underneath the riser, so to get the pictured setup, you would need a new stock. But if you just want the riser, I can make those in varying thicknesses to fit different stocks, too. IIRC, I still have one I made to fit around a 1.5" thick stock.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

D5CAV
Trigger Junkie

Postby D5CAV » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:20 am

The Ching sling is my favorite hunting sling, but I wouldn't consider it for tactical use.

My favorite tactical sling is the G3 sling, but it only works well with G3s. I've managed to jury rig one on my SIG 550, though.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Beginners Luck”