Gun Cleaning, advice? Materials? Tools?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
bubblewhip

Re: Gun Cleaning, advice? Materials? Tools?

Post by bubblewhip »

Yogimus wrote:
308Mike wrote:Now THAT is SWEET!!
It really is! I was going to get that model as well, but I am too much of a MOD-whore :D the lock-up design on that rifle is absolutely glorious.
Almost didn't get it. I'm probably one of a few dozen odd some guys in Canada that have them at the moment, since all you American's are eating them up. I was surprised we got them at all in Canada in less than a few months.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

bubblewhip wrote:
Yogimus wrote:
308Mike wrote:Now THAT is SWEET!!
It really is! I was going to get that model as well, but I am too much of a MOD-whore :D the lock-up design on that rifle is absolutely glorious.
Almost didn't get it. I'm probably one of a few dozen odd some guys in Canada that have them at the moment, since all you American's are eating them up. I was surprised we got them at all in Canada in less than a few months.
My advice, if you have the funds - grab as many as you can reasonably afford, 'cause once their gone from the retail markets, THEY ARE GONE. Canada being what it is, I also advise grabbing as much Swiss ammo for them as possible, 'cause THAT IS THE STUFF which also help makes these things so damned accurate - NO CRAP AMMO from the Swiss!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

If I might add one thought regarding cleaning. If you have access to an air compressor it can do wonders for blowing gunk and oil out of parts and helps in getting them dry. I learned the hard way to hang onto stuff when doing this so as to not launch them across the room.
If you do use a compressor, make sure you have a dryer attached to the line or else you will be blowing moist air (depending on your climate, of course) into the recesses of your gat.

My .22 rifles usually just get a boresnake after every other range trip. I'll break them down and give them a good cleaning after several trips. I'm much more attentive to my handguns and centerfire rifles.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

rightisright wrote:
If I might add one thought regarding cleaning. If you have access to an air compressor it can do wonders for blowing gunk and oil out of parts and helps in getting them dry. I learned the hard way to hang onto stuff when doing this so as to not launch them across the room.
If you do use a compressor, make sure you have a dryer attached to the line or else you will be blowing moist air (depending on your climate, of course) into the recesses of your gat.

My .22 rifles usually just get a boresnake after every other range trip. I'll break them down and give them a good cleaning after several trips. I'm much more attentive to my handguns and centerfire rifles.
I have found canned air is to be a good investment for this. WD40 + canned air can really get the gunk out.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Bit of advice on ammo...

Start off with decent .22 like CCI to get the hang then see what the gun likes. With .22 you will get duds, it happens more with the cheap stuff, a LOT more. I advise to steer clear of Remington Golden bullets just as a rule of thumb. Further, buy a bunch or different brands of ammo and see which feeds and groups best in your .22, it's a funny thing but you can have two of the same brand rifle and both will prefer different brands of ammo. It's a well know phenomena.

Congratulations and I can't really add anything productive to the advice on cleaning so I'll sign off now.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
bubblewhip

Post by bubblewhip »

So after shooting I cleaned it using the following.

Bore Snake + Hoppies 9 + Gun Oil
Q-tips (Receiver)
Coffee filters (for the receiver)

lubricated using Outer's gun Oil, all I can find so far in Canada, will upgrade to Rem-Oil or Balistol.

Seems to do the job, it doesn't make things uber clean but I can live with it. I'm wondering who to buy bore brushes from and what to look for.
cu74

Post by cu74 »

bubblewhip wrote: I'm wondering who to buy bore brushes from and what to look for.
Can't tell you what to look for, but I think Midway USA will ship to Canadastan. http://www.midwayusa.com/ - cut and paste...
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

you do not need a borebrush for a .22lr. The velocities are just too low for serious foulting (lead/copper type) Brushing the rifle will do more wear to the barrel than a hundred rounds. A few patches and a boresnake are more than adequate. The only thing you really need to worry about is the bolt face and the outside of the chamber where the bolt meets the barrel. The ONLY ONLY ONLY time to use a brush is if rounds will not feed from carbon buildup. (several hundred rounds, or a bulk pack)

Do not fire the gun oiled. The oil will pick up unburned powder and turn into sludge. that sludge will collect dirt and sand. that dirt and sand will wear the parts much harder than firing it dry.