I bought a P229 today

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Greg
Probably Unemployed

I bought a P229 today

Postby Greg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:32 am

I should have it in my sweaty mitts some time next week. I've wanted a Sig BAD since the 80's. It was that or a 226, and the 229 feels slightly better in my hands, not entirely sure why.

So tell me what I need to know. :D
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

308Mike

Re: I bought a P229 today

Postby 308Mike » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 am

You're gonna' LOVE it! :-D

I love my 226, but now want one in .45, so who knows, I might buy me one of their transformers to get all those calibers. I love NO SAFETY and an awesome hammer release that's not scary to use.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

Aglifter
Probably Unemployed

Postby Aglifter » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:26 am

When you get the money, send it to Bruce Gray at Gray Guns in Oregon. He did great things to my P226.

I don't know how applicable it is in NJ (you can always get a non-res permit and carry on excursions to the Free States.), but you have to watch the hammer on a Sig in a holster. If you wiggle around just right, sometimes the hammer gets snagged and will cock. Personally, I prefer to carry mine in a shoulder holster. If I ever go back to carrying it on my hip, I'd probably use a thumb break holster. It will also help keep the hammer from chewing a hole in your cover garment.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto

Kommander
Active Shooter

Postby Kommander » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:53 am

I have one and I like it allot. The only modification I have done to it is to add night sites. My only real complaint is that after a while the grips are not a grippy as I would like. Both Hogue and Sig now make some cross hatched metal grips that would probably work well, but there both significantly north of $100.

Lokidude
On a list somewhere

Postby Lokidude » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:42 am

Kommander wrote:I have one and I like it allot. The only modification I have done to it is to add night sites. My only real complaint is that after a while the grips are not a grippy as I would like. Both Hogue and Sig now make some cross hatched metal grips that would probably work well, but there both significantly north of $100.

What about just a Hogue Hand-all sleeve? Much less expensive.
workinwifdakids wrote:We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.

Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!

Aglifter
Probably Unemployed

Postby Aglifter » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:12 pm

FYI, I've been trying to get Hogue recheckered stock grips since November -- I may just have bad luck w. Hogue, though.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

martini
Loose Cannon

Postby martini » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:50 pm

I just picked up a 226 DAK last week, the trigger is great. I can't wait to get it out to the range.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura

Aaron
Trigger Junkie

Postby Aaron » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:00 am

I'd been wondering what someone who wasn't a paid shill thought of the double action-Kellerman trigger. Any chance of a full write up?
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:19 am

One particular thing I was wondering, is what grease do people recommend for the slide rails?

Oh, and what do people think of the Hogue G10 grips? I have to say when I heard of those, I got *excited*.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Aglifter
Probably Unemployed

Postby Aglifter » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:00 am

I use Enos' light slide glide or super lube. I'm quite fond of both, but I have switched to slide glide now.

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:04 am

Slipstream. Oh. My. Goodness.

Astroglide for guns.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:28 am

Sigs are cool, I really like them. I can't figure out why I don't have one right now...

Mike, the transformers have no .45 option yet AFAIK and that's why I have not gotten one.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:06 am

CombatController wrote:Sigs are cool, I really like them. I can't figure out why I don't have one right now...

Mike, the transformers have no .45 option yet AFAIK and that's why I have not gotten one.

I don't know if they'll sell one to you, but take a look at these (all the calibers):

Choose the caliber: 9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W, or .45ACP. Choose compact, subcompact or full size polymer grip module.

I happened to catch that a little while back published in one of the American rifleman magazines. If you have a contact that can verify the public availability of such caliber, please let us know.

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:58 am

I check every time I am in McBrides, so once a week or so for a few years now. All you can get are .40 and 9mm.... Weak.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:23 am

Next time I stop by my local cop shop I'll ask around and see what they say - they probably aren't available to ANYONE yet (in .45 ACP).

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Sig isn't H&K, they don't think I suck and don't hate me. I think they just never made one as the current model has tepid sales. If they would roll out the whole line they might get somewhere.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:37 am

CombatController wrote:Sig isn't H&K, they don't think I suck and don't hate me. I think they just never made one as the current model has tepid sales. If they would roll out the whole line they might get somewhere.

I picked it up yesterday. 229 chambered in .40, non-rail CPO ordered from Summit Gun Broker (who seems to be *the* man for Sig CPOs these days). There's a little wear on the barrel in the usual spots but it's pretty light, the mags are kind of worn but the frame looks pristine. Looking forward to taking it to the range, and picking up a 357sig barrel at some point.

Just so you know, while I was in the store I saw a 250 in .45. The only problem is that AFAIK the .45 frames don't interchange with the other calibers. And yeah to me the 250 "one fire control group, many frames" concept would be more appealing if they had something other than DAO available.

Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Denis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:52 am

Lucky you, Greg. Well wear and happy shooting!

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Damn, I guess they did. But since it does not interchange I have lost interest...

slowpoke
Trigger Junkie

Postby slowpoke » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:42 am

CombatController wrote:Damn, I guess they did. But since it does not interchange I have lost interest...

It interchanges; you just have to buy a new grip too. He's calling the grip the frame; but the fire control group is the reciever/SN'd part.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Does Sig have some kind of weird distribution system? They seem hard to get around here in the Dallas area. Their popularity seems to keep the used prices high.

jcollins

Postby jcollins » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 am

okay, as a relative newbie, this might be an odd question. but what exactly is the difference between a Sig P226 and Sig P228?

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:43 am

CByrneIV wrote:
jcollins wrote:okay, as a relative newbie, this might be an odd question. but what exactly is the difference between a Sig P226 and Sig P228?

The P228 is the civilian version of the military SIG M11. in comparison to the p226 It's only available in 9mm, has a 3.9" barrel (.5" shorter), it's .6" shorter in length, .1" shorter in height, 5oz lighter (no mag), and uses a 13rd flush magazine rather than a 15rnd magazine (though it can take the 15rd and 20rd p226mags).

It's actually closer to the P229 than the P226. In fact, they're nearly identical except for the shape of the trigger guard, the grip panels, and that the 229slide is milled stainless steel, while the 228 slide is forged carbon steel.

i.e. it's smaller!

Welcome to the forum!

Jericho941
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Jericho941 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:06 am

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:59 pm

CByrneIV wrote:
jcollins wrote:okay, as a relative newbie, this might be an odd question. but what exactly is the difference between a Sig P226 and Sig P228?

The P228 is the civilian version of the military SIG M11. in comparison to the p226 It's only available in 9mm, has a 3.9" barrel (.5" shorter), it's .6" shorter in length, .1" shorter in height, 5oz lighter (no mag), and uses a 13rd flush magazine rather than a 15rnd magazine (though it can take the 15rd and 20rd p226mags).

It's actually closer to the P229 than the P226. In fact, they're nearly identical except for the shape of the trigger guard, the grip panels, and that the 229slide is milled stainless steel, while the 228 slide is forged carbon steel.

That slide thing is actually a big deal.

It used to be that a 228 was just a slightly smaller 226. Both were 9mm-only, and both had a slide made from a flat piece of steel that was folded over (with a pinned-in breech block).

Then they created the 229 from the 228 by changing the slide to a solid milled slide. The new slide is heavier and stronger and together they allow the gun to be chambered in .40sw and .357sig. So the 229 is available in 3 chamberings.

That worked out so well, they then applied the same change to the 226, changing the slide and offering it (with the new slide) in .40sw and .357sig in addition to 9mm. However this time they didn't change the model #, which is unfortunate.

You know that:
228 = folded slide and 9mm only, and
229 = milled slide and 9mm, .40 or .357

But with the 226?
The "old" ones are folded slide and 9mm only.
The "new" ones are milled slide and 9mm, .40 or .357.

There are some extremely strong opinions out there in world of Sig owners and users as to which slide design is better. The "purists" insist that the folded slide is the 'one true Sig'. (Oh, and don't ask about 229 frames. Sig originally did something really stupid, then they eventually fixed it but in a stupid way. All the stupidity makes it hard to explain, almost sounds like a 'who's on first' routine. You only really need to understand it if you'e trying to buy 229 9mm magazines.)

Return to “Beginners Luck”