approximate age of a M1903 Springfield

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Cybrludite

approximate age of a M1903 Springfield

Post by Cybrludite »

I was at a roleplaying game at a friend's house, and his wife asked me if I could put them some knowledge on their old rifle. It's a Springfield made by Remington. It still has the magazine cut-off switch. Bluing is in excellent condition. Serial # is 3070XXX. Bore is dark, but the rifling is in top shape. Any guesses as to when it was made and what it might be worth? (For insurance reasons. They aren't looking to sell.)
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Kommander

Re: approximate age of a M1903 Springfield

Post by Kommander »

A quick wiki search reveals it to be of early WWII vintage. More I can not say.
randy

Post by randy »

3,070,XXX does fall into the assigned serial number range for rifles produced by Remington (3,000,000 to 3,607,999).
In 1941, Remington Arms Co., anticipating a contract to produce rifles for Great Britain, leased the M1903 tooling in storage at Rock Island Arsenal. Remington production began, under U.S. contract because of the passage of the Lend-Lease Bill, in November 1941, at serial number 3 Million.
Model 1903 Springfield Rifles, NRA American Rifleman Reprint, 1989, Page 4.

So I would guess a production date of November -December 1941
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Cool. Thanks for the info!
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
cu74

Post by cu74 »

Go here and type in the serial number.
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Agreed it's probably 1941. Value is between $600 and $700 assuming it is unmolested (i.e. in full military condition). If the bore is completely scunged, maybe $450-500, there are plenty of 2-grove WWII barrels still in the wrapper.

If it's been modified in any way value drops rapidly in proportion to the cost of restoration. A sporter would be worth maybe $250.
cu74

Post by cu74 »

NVGdude wrote:If it's been modified in any way value drops rapidly in proportion to the cost of restoration. A sporter would be worth maybe $250.
In today's Post-Obama market that seems about right, if it is in good condition. I have a "sporterized" Remington 1903A3 replete with a budget-priced scope that I picked up at an estate auction in 2006 for $175.

Just for reference, I paid three times that amount in 2007 for a 1910 Rock Island Armory Springfield 1903, in really nice condition. (I can bring either or both to Precison's February or CC's March Shootarooni if anyone is interested - let me know.)
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.